What's Your Light Controller Solution?

Nice post!! I definitely will look into those flic buttons.

I have about 30 LIFX lights now (including a Z strip) and using a Raspberry Pi with LIGHTSD (Lightsd: a daemon with a JSON-RPC API to control your bulbs)

I have a ruby script that changes lights (on/off and HSBK) hourly, based on this study: https://www.lifx.com/blogs/the-latest/19034143-the-lighter-side-of-circadian-rhythms

I have a zwave daughter board on my RPi, and worked a bit with using zwave controllers, but not had great luck due to the lack of capabilities on the API side of things…more devices to have a more consistent mesh network might have solved that, but didn’t want to put any more $ into that solution.

I use netgear poppers here and there, which work well, although would prefer to have something that utilizes the RPI/LIGHTSD interface for better consistency and reaction time.

Actually, the automatic lights cycle works really well most of the time, and pulling out the smartphone couple times a month isn’t so bad although would like better usability for folks that dont live in our home or perhaps easier/more intuitive interfaces for simple things like, “I need the lights on to read a book”.

One huge request is that I would love to integrate NEST thermostat motion sensor information to help control the lights…might not need any manual switches at all if I had that, although last I checked this is not available in the API?!

Cheers!
Beanbrown

1 Like