LIFX Developer Zone

Any plans for IPv6 support?

I got drunk Christmas Eve and ordered myself a Lifx Colour 1000 — and it’s wonderful, I don’t regret it.

But I’ve been trying to keep my home network IPv6-only to the greatest extent possible, and the Lifx is stubbornly the only IPv4-only device I own. I’d love to buy more of them, but I’d really like to know that they’re future-proof first.

2 Likes

There are currently no plans to add IPv6 to the current product line up. We will continue to monitor our customer base and the deployment of IPv6. In the future if it makes sense to include IPv6 support we will.

Daniel you may want to take that more seriously, LIFX advertises the bulbs as lasting 30 years, yes that is an expected maximum life of the LED bulb but the point is even if LIFX advertised 10 years you need to consider that technically the whole product is advertised that way and due to this if in a few years time the product is useless because IP6 is the only option then LIFX has falsely advertised.
Anyway just a thought.

The bulb is rated with a lifetime of 22.8 years. This is an indication of the lifetime you can expect from it based on the lifetime of the LEDs and LED drivers. It is not the warranty period.

The bulb comes with 2-year limited hardware warranty. The warranty is not a lifetime warranty.

Depending on your jurisdiction this may mean one of several things and my knowledge of the law is not complete. Consult your local consumer protection authority for more information.

I have exactly the same problem. I have 9 LIFX bulbs and they are the only IPv4 devices in my network.
Even my Arduino and ESP8266 devices have IPv6.

1 Like

You guys know that home networks don’t even remotely need IPv6 right? The only place IPv6 really matters is huge corporations and ISPs. It’s overkill for a home network.

Aaaah… no. IPv6 matters everywhere, from the home to the cloud, for the simple fact that IPv4 is eventually going away. It’s not “overkill”, it’s necessary — or else ISPs like Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Cox and Comcast wouldn’t be rolling it out to each and every one of their clients.

Of course it is Stephen but eventually it will be required. I agree for now for most people it isn’t needed but that won’t always be the case and who knows what reasons require someone to use IP6 in their network.
Better to just support it and be done.

Alas for now, if you must have IP6 LIFX isn’t for you, that is something LIFX would recognise and they know there are so few people who have that requirement that they won’t notice the loss in sales against the cost associated with adding it to the product.

Of course it wont be required in the next 50+ years. Why would it be required at all? At most our home router needs to accept an ipv6 isp ip address but other then that whats behind the NAT won’t mater.

Its like saying everyone needs a BMW car. Bottom line is private networks don’t need it.

You say that like running everything through NAT is a good thing. IPv6 was designed so that (among other things) we wouldn’t need to NAT everybody’s home networks; it’s rarely necessary and often (not always, but often) harmful.

IPv6 is not a luxury good like your hypothetical BMW — it has real world benefits and home networks do get use out of it.

Honestly I don’t see it as a problem. Most of the issues I have seen with NAT is when its actually double NATed. I think we have bigger issues with people not knowing how to plug in a router.

As for Lifx supporting it I don’t see the need (unless a quick add with no cost / time). I would rather have better API’s and lower cost of the bulbs.

Stephen, 50 years… really invalidate your argument with that. We get you don’t see it as a problem but you missed the point and are now trolling.

Okay lets all calm down a little.

I don’t think anyone at LIFX thinks IPv6 is 50 years away. I mean looking at adoption curves shows that its at about 10% now and rapidly climbing. Its something we will continue to reassess and action when the time is right.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel
A lot of times when your taking to businesses 3 years is like 50 to them. I’m use to talking to companies that say they are looking out 5-10 years but honestly only can go a few years. I wasn’t being exact guys. And I’m sorry if I offended you about IPv6. Apparently it’s a touchy subject.

Bottom line to me which I have said before its a want and not a need for at least a while. Already supported by Lifx. Or they would have it built in already.

I think Lifx has much bigger fish to fry in terms of software/APIs and lowering the overall cost of the bulb. Which I’m happy to say I have seen lower prices at bestbuy. I rather Phillips Hue not win or any other smart bulb.

If adding it was as easy as adding a package to a Linux box sure do it but spending the resources of the company wisely is important.

Thanks

I’m certainly a huge proponent of IPv6, but we should remember how a lifx bulb operates - as long as there is any IPv4 deployment, even the most locked down, carrier grade NAT (ISP level NAT, where you don’t get a single public WAN address at all), these bulbs will continue to operate just fine. This is literally a problem that the cloud has already solved.

… and thanks to CloudFlare our API should be accessible over IPv6. :smiley:

1 Like

I know this is an old topic, but…FWIW

I was doing some testing with a Python3/asyncio and decided to try to see if IPv6 would work… and it does.

After broadcasting (IPv4) a GetService and receiving StateService messages, I was able to create IPv6 UDP unicast connection to the Lifx (Original) and they would respond to my messages.

If you know your IPv6 /64 prefix, you can easily figure out the devices addresses using their MAC address.

So I guess we can say that IPv6 is supported. Now I have not figured out how to discover the lights with IPv6 (Multicast possibly)

Cheers

It would still be nice to see LIFX add real IPv6 support and documentation for their APIs accordingly.

Unfortunately, I don’t have units to test with because I won’t buy them until there’s IPv6 capability.

I wonder, @frawau , have you tried sending a packet to all nodes on link [ff02::1] (or better an appropriate site scoped address [ff05::*, such as SSDP [ff05::c], mDNSv6 [ff05::fb], SVRLOC [ff05::116], Mbus [ff05::300] Service Location V2 [ff05::1:1000/118] (see RFC3111) or one of the SAP ranges [ff05::2:7ffe…ff05::2:ffff] ?

It would be interesting indeed, to know if LIFX bulbs answer to any of these IPv6 multicast addresses for discovery.

That was a long time ago… I can’t really remember, but I am pretty sure I tried mDNS and got no answer…