LIFX Developer Zone

Best way to construct a rule triggered by Ring Motion that only changes light state between time range (11:11 pm and dawn)

Before I go rolling my own HTTP server solution, has anyone else encountered the following use case and implemented a COTS solution (IFTTT, SmartThings, HomeKit, etc).

The trigger, in this case, is the motion sensor for a Ring Doorbell. The device to be controlled is a LIFX Mini Colored bulb installed in a fixture just above the doorbell.

What is working: Using rbmorley’s automation " Ring motion, Lifx on, then Lifx off with fade out duration" on the IFTTT service, I am able to turn on my Lifx “Porch Light” when Ring detects motion. The light stays on during the duration I set, eventually dimming to off after 15 minutes.

The secondary constraint I am trying to automate for is that the Porch Light is also part of a group of outside lights that turn on 30 minutes before sunset, and then off at 11:10 p.m. nightly. (I have executed this through SmartHub and HomeKit, with either being fine.)

The problem I am trying to solve for is that when the Ring detects motion between Sunset and 11:10 p.m. nightly, my porch light goes off after 15 minutes.

I would like the Ring trigger to only turn on the Lifx Porch Light for 15 minutes between 11:11 p.m. and Sunrise; otherwise, the light should already be on, or it’s daytime and the light does not need to trigger.

The logic is straightforward and simple enough to describe:

IF Ring detects Motion, AND the time is between 11:11 p.m. and the variable value of Sunrise, THEN Turn On Lifx Porch Light for 15 minutes. ELSE do nothing to Lifx Porch Light.

I have not located an off the shelf solution to constrain the trigger to a time range.

Any thoughts?

This is a typical and common I ssue with IFTTT that becomes frustrating very fast. It’s so limited to “if this, then that”, anything outside of that is usually impossible. If “this and this then that” just doesn’t seem to be something anyone is prepared to handle, yet such simple logic that so many situations demand. Good luck with finding a solution… would love to hear what it is!

1 Like