Bulbs randomly freezing - Ticket has been open for over a month

Which firmware version were you trying? We followed up v1.8 with a v1.9 update shortly after.

1.9 didn’t fix it for me either, it seemed good for a while, but this morning I woke up to find that one bulb hasn’t been seen online for 32775 seconds, I think it’s safe to assume it’s not coming back on its own.

ticket: 159782

1.8 on app 3.9.2. I don’t see an option to upgrade again to 1.9.

Hi @andys03,

The 1.9 Beta is currently an invite only. Email support with your symptoms and ask for an invite. They will ascertain whether you are eligible for the Beta.

Dan

The latest firmware fixed all my issues, including freezing and flashing. Thanks guys!

@andys03 Glad to hear it.

For everyone else I should also mention that the 1.10 update is now included in both the iOS and Android applications and on the firmware updater page. There is no need to email support for the update anymore. :wink:

I’m having this problem as well, with an open ticket, but no response from support after two weeks. This is a brand new bulb that started having this problem immediately after installing/claiming, whereas 9 other bulbs all received/installed around the same time are normally fine (staying connected/controllable).

Ticket #173647. Daniel, can you check into the status?

Hi @hollismb,

Looks like the support team already organised you an RMA. Let me know if there is anything else you need. :smiley:

I have 35 bulbs, I also use SmartThings.

My First Ten
The bulbs worked fine.

We really like the ability to change the color and specifically the color temperature based on the time of day. It was also a very expensive but fun way to teach my son his colors.

Additions
I then purchased 7 more bulbs. 4 in the dining room and 3 in the foyer as they didn’t have any neutrals either. After a few days I noticed that 1 light wasn’t always working so I returned it and got a new one. The new one worked fine.

Initial Problems
I then purchased 6 more. 3 lights for our upstairs hallway (same Color B30’s) and 3 LIFX Color 1000 A19 bulbs. They worked, however I started getting inconsistent results from my lights as a whole. For example, if I was turning all my lights on at once 23 at once some of them wouldn’t turn on. I had 100% light action success about 85% of the time. After doing some research I learned some wireless radios have trouble handling more than 30 wifi devices. I used the Verizon Fios Quantum AC1750. I purchased 2 x Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO along with a Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key. Basically setting this up without doing anything special solved my problems. All of my lights started working just fine. I thought I was in the clear. In case you are wondering I had the radios setup as auto everything (channel, power, …). I know, I know…

I have 2.5 acres and I don’t get any signal from my neighbors.

More Lights
I think is it. I don’t I’ll buy more lights than this last purchase. I got another 14. Family Room and my Office. This is when the #%&@ hit the fan. After adding the lights, I had 100% light action 0% of the time. Not once did all of the lights I expected to turn on / off / set level / set color do what I told them as a whole. It did not matter if I used LIFX HTTP API, my Group of Groups device handler for SmartThings or the LIFX app directly. I spent 6 or 7 days trying to figure this out, tweaking power settings, channels, locations of the APs. Nothing worked.

Resolution
I did a bit more research and found that most routers have issue with 30+ clients, wireless or wired. The router I was using Verizon Fios Quantum AC1750 had issues with 65+ give or take a few devices. I have almost ~90. I have all these lights now totaling 35, 16 security cameras, 9 nest protects, 1 nest, 3 phones, 3 tablets, and every tv, roku, xbox, desktop computer, & server are hard wired. I didn’t realize I had that many devices. I replaced my Verizon Router with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite. After making this change I had an immediate change in behavior. I was looking at a 100% light action about 99% of the time. A lot better but still not good enough. I tweaked a few of my wireless settings like turning on Band Steering and Airtime Fairness. Still not 100%. When all said and done I had 6 lights (not all in the same room) that were regularly not doing what I wanted them to do. So I processed a return from Amazon. When I got the new bulbs I replaced the first bulb. The new bulb worked immediately but I was still not seeing 100%. After about 8 hours I replaced the second bulb. It worked and I immediately got 100% light action 100% of the time (on all of the lights!). It’s been 8 days and I haven’t replaced the last 4 and I am still at 100% all the time.

What fixed it? Was that one bulb the problem? I don’t know for sure, but all of my lights work now.

4 Likes

this is simply how LIFX works. Look for another brand. Personally I will try the Hue ASAP.

my own experiences:

1. All third party Android apps I’ve tried lose the connection constantly.
  2. IFTTT integration loses connection constantly
  3. Official Windows 10 app loses connection often.
  4. Official android app loses connection often
1 Like

This is what I am seeing. WiFi connectivity/reliability is garbage. I upgraded to an OnHub which supposedly handles up to 200 devices on WiFi and I’m only at around 40.

Every day, multiple times a day, at 1-4 bulbs are completely offline/unresponsive and must be power cycled.

6 gen 3 color 1000’s & 4 gen 2’s.

Scenes consequently don’t work reliably. IFTTT integrations fail 70%+. LIFX widgets rarely work.

None of my other WiFi devices ever have any issues.

@Enigma - Do you get different results when between wifi and cellular?

Haven’t noticed any significant difference. If it’s offline for good, its offline on WAN & LAN.

The recent firmware update has helped considerably but only for the LIFX gen 3’s. The gen 2’s still crap out daily.

It might be a little too early to tell completely but I think I discovered something pretty major that might apply to some of you.

I’ve had a Ethernet over Power adapter that I installed to generate a distant WiFi hotspot. (LIFX lights weren’t using that hotspot) but I ended up unplugging it with the intention of relocating it and after it’s been off for a day or so, I am seeing exceptionally improved response times on LIFX lights as well is no offline issues.

Hopefully this helps some others.

[body is too similar to what I posted in another related thread so I’m adding this]

My 2nd gen White 800 bulbs don’t seem to be as reliable, but after the 1.21 firmware update on those, they were noticeably better.

Also something weird, a couple of my White 800 bulbs were trying to claim the router IP address as their own. Dunno how that happened. Power-cycling my router didn’t fix it; I had to power-cycle the lights. There are definitely some oddities which may be the cause of your freezing issues.

If you have 3rd gen lights, I highly recommend the beta firmware v2.14. It solved the problems I was having. Less and less have I noticed issues, and I’m currently running 80 LIFX lights right now.

I think one of the biggest changes was setting a minimum RSSI to -67dB on the 2.4GHz spectrum. It’s only really useful if you have more than one access point otherwise some devices may never be able to connect.