LIFX Developer Zone

Can't adopt new GU10 lamps?

We’ve 54 LIFX GU10 lamps that we’re installing in a new house. Some have been adopted with no problems, others are being problematic. Network is UniFi (HD’s and NanoHD’s) with good signal throughout. I’m using an Apple iPhone to set them up.

Out of the box some were not showing up in ‘Set up New Device’ in IOS WiFi (though some would occasionally show up in ‘Other Networks’. A 5 power on/off reset will get them to show up in IOS’s ‘Set Up New Device’. When I click to set up I’m asked if I want to join the LFX network and I click ‘Next’. When successful it finishes in about 10-30 seconds. When not successful I get a message “An unexpected error occurred. Try again.”

Same result with numerous lamps.

With these same lamps I’ve also tried the procedure here: https://support.lifx.com/hc/en-us/articles/204087310--An-Unknown-error-occurred-

I can click on the GU10 to successfully join its WiFi network but when I go in to the LIFX app it never lists it (or any LIFX lamps) in the ‘Select a Device’ screen in New Device.

Thoughts on what the problem is and a solution?

Thanks,

Hello,

How many of the lights that aren’t connected to the network yet do you have powered on?

Anywhere from 2 to 6 at a time.

ok, if it was a lot then it could be the SoftAPs causing a lot of noise. But if it’s still happening with 2, then perhaps it’s not that.

How far away from the devices are you when you try?

Directly under them so maybe 4’.

I just realised you’re doing this through homekit, let’s try doing legacy onboarding and see if that works.

If you wait 15 minutes the device will stop broadcasting itself as a homekit device and the LIFX app should show “other networks” instead of “add new device” and from there we can onboard using LIFX messages rather than homekit instructions.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m at another project this morning but s/b back to Loden around noon and will give this a try.