Cisco WLC and LIFX Color 1000

Hi Guys,

I have an Issue with two of my color 1000 bulbs.
I do have 7 Lifx originals that are functioning awesome and smooth and have a LIFX Z coming my way.

The setup is a cisco 2504 wlc with cisco 2802I AP’s.
WLC is connected through a trunk to a L3 switch and a cisco router.

The originals are functioning fine on a separate WLAN isolated in their own vlan. #broadcasts

The color 1000’s running the latest version (updated through desktop update app) are a real pain in the ***.
They do associate with my controller but I can’t get them to onboard, the app does not see them.
Setup on WLC:
Multicast enabled
IGMP Snooping disabled
Broadcast forwarding enabled
mDNS enabled: service _alljoyn._tcp.local
radio policy: b/g only
P2P blocking disabled
client exclusion disabled
aironet extensions disabled

Setup on Switch:
Multicast enabled
IGMP Snooping disabled

Setup on Router:
Multicast enabled
IGMP Snooping disabled

I just don’t get it really, the color 1000’s do work on some crappy powerline adapter somehow.
It just can’t be possible my enterprise class WLAN setup isn’t enough.

Am I missing something?

If any of you guys could help me in the right direction I’d love to share my findings.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,


I wonder if this is related to my cisco issue with the z strip.

My Lifx+ bulbs work perfectly fine with the cisco access point. Its just the Z Strip that has a problem. if I’m not mistaken, the color 1000 and the Z strip have the same firmware or derive from the same firmware as they use the same updater.

I purchased 5 LifX tiles a week ago. My home wireless network is based on a Cisco WLC 2504 and Cisco Aironet 3702i WAPs. While setting up LifX tiles I immediately experienced an issue where the Android app I used to set up the tiles would first detect all the tiles, try to do a firmware upgrade, ask me for my Wifi password (it detected the SSID successfully) and then error out when trying to connect the tiles to my WLAN. I use separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I also used an Android tablet (as opposed to a mobile phone) to set up the lights and ensured that the tablet is not only on the same SSID, but also on the same WAP as my LifX tiles. Nothing helped.

As a side note, I want to point out that there does not appear to be ANY coherent support for LifX tiles. I opened a support ticket on 09/11 and the only thing I received so far is two automated responses saying “we’ll get back to you”. Keep that in mind when purchasing a LifX product and make sure you can return it since you sure as hell are not getting any support for it.

I spent about 5 hours trying to figure out what the issue is. I performed wifi, traffic captures, reset the tiles about 30 times (because there is no way to know what setup state a tile is in), etc. I finally resolved the issue and wanted to post some of my WLC settings in case another victim of LifX has the same issue. I also have a feeling that this LifX setup issue is not Cisco-specific and is likely to affect other environments where WiFi signal is delivered via a commercial-grade wireless infrastructure.

** Controller / General settings:**
Broadcast Forwarding: Enabled
AP Multicast Mode: Multicast (Group address
Fast SSID change: Enabled
Link Local Bridging: Enabled

** Controller / Multicast:**
Enable Global Multicast Mode: Enabled
Enable IGMP Snooping: Enabled
Enable MLD Snooping: Enabled

** WLANs > Edit ‘<your WLAN name here’**
Radio Policy: 802.11b/g only
Multicast Vlan Feature: Enabled
Broadcast SSID: Enabled
Security: WPA2/AES/PSK
Quality of Service (QoS): Platinum
Application Visibility: Enabled
Fastlane: Disable
WMM Policy: Disabled
Coverage hole detection: Disabled
Enable Session Timeout: Disabled
Aironet IE: Disabled
P2P Blocking Action: Disabled
Client Exclusion: Disabled
Wi-Fi Direct Clients Policy: Disabled
FlexConnect Local Switching: Disabled
11k neighbor list: Disabled
Client Band Select: Enabled
Passive client: Enabled
mDNS Snooping: Enabled
mDNS Profile: default-mdns-profile

# 802.11b/g Global Parameters
802.11b/g Network Status: Enabled
802.11g Support: Enabled
DTPC Support: Enabled
RSSI Low Check: Disabled

# 802.11b > RRM > Tx Power Control(TPC)
TPC Version:Coverage optimal mode
Power Level Assignment Method: Automatic

# 802.11b > RRM > Dynamic Channel Assignment (DCA)
Channel Assignment Method: Automatic
Avoid Foreign AP interference: Enabled
Avoid Cisco AP load: Disabled
Avoid non-802.11b noise: Enabled
Avoid Persistent Non-WiFi Interference: Disabled
DCA Channel Sensitivity: Medium

# 802.11b > RRM > Coverage
Enable Coverage Hole Detection: Enabled

# 802.11b > Client Roaming

RF Parameters mode: Default

EDCA Parameters:
EDCA Profile: WMM

# 802.11n (2.4 GHz) High Throughput
11n mode: Enabled

# 802.11b > CleanAir
CleanAir: Enabled
Persistent Device Propagation: Enabled

# Media Stream >General
Multicast Direct feature: Disabled

# All APs > Details for

mDNS Snooping: Enabled

# Flexible Radio Assignment Configuration
Flexible Radio Assignment: Disabled

# Optimized Roaming
802.11b Optimized Roaming Mode: Disabled

Obviously these are not all the configuration parameters (there are hundreds more), but I am not going to list the default ones.

One other important note is that IGMP snooping is DISABLED on my LAN switch (it was causing discovery issues with some of the poorly implemented IOT devices. My LAN is 1Gbps, so I don’t care about the fact that the LAN switch floods all multicast traffic to all ports.

This issue is clearly related to how the setup process is implemented for LifX tiles. I had zero issues with any of the IOT devices in my home (I have tens of them - thermostats, household appliances, media devices, other smart lights like Nanoleaf, etc).

Thanks a lot. I slightly aligned my WLC settings with yours and was able to pair the lights… even a very old one that I had quit on years ago.