Connected bulbs dissapear when using specific WiFi network

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed, but I didn’t see anything similar. Also I’m not much of a ‘developer’ so bear with me in my explanation.

I have bulbs that are onboarded and working (thanks for the teams help in that) however I noticed something very odd. My office recently installed a WiFi network and when I am connected to it all of my bulbs appear offline in the app. The moment I disconnect the bulbs reappear. The WiFi network is definitely not your average consumer network and I only know this because connecting was a pain. I think it was an EAP network, if that is a thing. Is there a reason this network would cause this sort of issue? Is this a known problem? Thanks in advance.

Assuming the bulbs themselves are not on the office network, and it is only your phone/device that’s getting onto the office network-- don’t have time to explain in detail, but yes. If this happens every time for that particular network, and ALL of your bulbs appear offline and remain appearing offline after waiting at least 20 seconds, then yes it’s likely your office network is interfering with this communication (could be routing/DNS, security/firewalls, etc. etc.).

(make sure you wait even 2 minutes a few times to be sure… the Android app at least, sometimes loads an old, cached state, then replaces it with some other inaccurate state, and then 10 seconds later the actual state of the bulbs is represented… seems like some of the implementation needs to be reworked eventually…)

One way to help confirm this could be to find a Windows 10 machine that resides on the same office WiFi network as well, and install the LIFX app, and see if it also sees the bulbs offline. If so, then you’re almost guaranteed it’s that network, and not some edge-case bug with a particular implementation of LIFX controller software.

Actually on that note, there’s another test. Try grabbing a third-party LIFX app for your device just to see if it sees anything different.

Good luck!

Thanks AcidRain64. You are correct that the bulbs are not on the network at the office and it is just my phone. The bulbs all appear offline and remain that way as long as I am connected.

I don’t have access to a machine with Windows 10 (I’ve actually never even used Windows 10) but I will try a 3rd party app. My guess is it is the network and it isn’t a big deal because I can always use cellular to control them if I need to. I also don’t see many needs to control my lights from the office, it was just something I found interesting.

Following up on the suggestion I tried to download a couple 3rd party apps however I noticed they both searched for lights on the network I was connected to. Since the bulbs aren’t on the network in question, I didn’t have any success. Is there an app that connects to the Lifx account instead of searching for bulbs?

I was however able to successfully power on and off the lights while connected to the office network through my Harmony Hub app. I don’t know if the Harmony Hub is a special instance or not. Would love to know if this means anything or not.

Hi, I would check to see if you can connect over that network to TCP port 56700 at v2.broker.lifx.co as this is where our message broker runs to allow communication from your mobile app to your lightbulbs.

Kevin, I went to the address provided using my mobile and desktop browser but received this error message:
Oops!
Something went wrong. Our engineers have been notified. Please try again later.

All I did was copy v2.broker.lifx.co into my Chrome web address bar. Hopefully that is what I was supposed to do? I get the same error message when on cellular data.

Unfortunately just copying and pasting it into your address bar will not go to the correct port.

On larger corporate networks one practice commonly used is outbound port filtering. this will block traffic from devices to ports outside their Access Control List. The behaviour you are seeing matches that seen in other cases were outbound traffic is filtered or blocked. I would recommend talking to your IT team and asking them the question about access to v2.broker.lifx.co port 56700

Alternatively if you attempt to connect to https://v2.broker.lifx.co:56700/ in your web browser you should see an invalid certificate and this would indicate that the issue is somewhere else