LIFX Developer Zone

Day & Dusk - Settings when switched on from wall switch

Hi,

I really like the day & dusk feature but there’s one things that troubles me.

During the night and when away from home, we turn off the bulb from the wall switch.
When turning the light on from the wall switch, it runs with the settings which were used when it was turned off, even if day & dusk feature is enabled and the current time defines different settings for the light. The only way I found to bring the light to the correct settings is to either turn day & dusk feature on and off, or play with the graph (the one that allows you to experiment with the light settings throughout the day).

Did I miss something?

Is it possible for the bulb to adjust to the correct day & dusk settings as soon as the bulb starts up?

Thanks,
Gal

1 Like

Bumping this thread.

I have the exact same issue, and I got the lifx bulbs just because I wanted to be able to use my existing light switches. Is this a bug or the intended way of working?

Would appreciate a quick response as I will return it if this is the intended way of working (and I need to do that within the next 10 days)

1 Like

@Ziphiaz This is the way that the scheduling system currently works. It is powered by the LIFX cloud, so when the lights are powered off at the wall switch, schedules do not trigger.

We are looking at how we improve on this in the future, potentially where when the light is turned on and connects to the LIFX cloud, it checks to see if it would be in the middle of any long running schedule transitions and then adjusts to that state. Even with this solution, there would be a delay before the change in light state occurred while the light powers up and connects to your Wi-fi and then the LIFX cloud servers.

3 Likes

Was looking for the same exact thing - I want the lights to follow the Day & Dusk schedule when I turn them on at the wall switch.

I’m thinking about writing a little code that runs 24/7 and updates the lights every x# seconds on my local network.

That way even if the light is off, when I turn it on it would “synch up” to the desired color temperature and brightness based on the current time of day pretty quickly.

How would this affect power consumption on the bulbs? If they update 3600 times per hour will they still run at 11W consumption?

I was actually able to get this running! Only need to update 60 times per hour since it can detect when a bulb goes offline and online at the wall switch.

Made some presets for brightness and color temperature at: dawn, sunrise, sunset, dusk, night, and nadir. Once a minute it updates all the bulbs based on where the current time of day lands between presets, blending the brightness and color temperature using some basic math!

It works really well. The transitions are beyond seamless since they happen so imperceptibly.

When you turn a light on at the wall switch, it comes on at its last setting and then about a second later it “synchs up” with the presets I coded. Each minute thereafter it gets updated to the preset curve.

I also added in a check so that if the brightness is more than 25% of the preset, to leave it alone - meaning that it assumes you turned up the brightness yourself for a reason. To get it back on the preset curve, just turn it off and on at the wall switch once.

The only downside is that I have to run it on a server in my house, not really an option for the general public.

Anyway, I hope something like the above lands in the cloud app. I have proven it works really well!

If anyone wants the code just message me.

I made this into a node package, you can grab it here:

1 Like

I see it’s almost been a year & this behavior still persists. I’d rather not employ work arounds. Any update?

I have to say that

1. coming across this really questionable implementation
  2. seeing multiple threads over the past 2 years where this is not addressed in any meaninfgul way

makes me want to return these out of the gate.

I bought them for one key feature and:

1. it work ridiculously, forcing me to turn the lights on even though scheduling is already a separate feature. Was this made for office? It makes no sense in the home.
  2. not being able to easily switch between colors and day/suck mode
  3. having to use workarounds provided over a year ago by the community for free while the dev team says it’s hard work to create this fix?

that’s a hard pill to swallow guys, you’ve implemented a feature which doesn’t have much practical use and it’s a flagship feature, so it’s hard to see it as a success.

I paid extra for your brand because this was supposed to be done and I wasn’t supposed to
have to do any extra work. Extra money wasted.

Finally, your music visualizer effect is erratic and not very usable, so that’s another waste of an attractive feature.

The difference between the promise made and the actual product performance are both subtle yet staggering and I’m surprised more people aren’t here saying so.

Your price has a premium feel, Your hardware has a premium feel, your software isn’t there yet.

I’m underwhelmed by both the ux of product and quality of response in these forums.

I will now move on to testing Phillips hue products. Hopefully they are better, otherwise I’ll return the whole thing and wait another year till someone figures out how to package this properly.

3 Likes

Thank you for this option.

Anything in the works LIFX???
Thanks.

Hello markh + colleagues, any news about this? The idea you have about bulb checking for active schedules once it turns on is exactly what these bulbs are missing for the feature to be properly useful.

I’ve had LIFX bulbs for about five years now, and one thing I miss a little more commitment to feature requests. It was one of the reasons I went with Lifx, the startup, rather than Hue back then.

2 Likes

One more voice in the why isn’t this fixed yet chorus.

3 Likes

Following your lead, my friend. I’m frustrated and that feeling runs counter to what having smart lights is all about. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out a workaround, but the realization just hit me that THIS SHOULDN’T BE MY JOB.

Why there can’t be a Leave Unchanged power state option for the entire schedule, and/or each of the four day phases for more granularity, is beyond me. There should even be a Leave Unchanged option for color/brightness, as well, but if that’s asking too much I’ll settle for just power. Someone should at least explain what their initial line of reasoning was and why they chose to omit it. Someone HAD to know this would frustrate a LOT of people and that is definitely NOT what you want your customers experiencing when they use your product. Especially considering that they will then relate that experience to others, both online and off.

Look, I get how easy it is to suggest changing something without really knowing what’s going on behind the scenes and in the code. Maybe a change like this would entail having to redo a lot of things or even starting from scratch. Or maybe there is a human problem, like they don’t have enough people or it’s a situation with management. Who knows? All I know is that in my case, if I go to bed at the wrong time my cool mellow bedtime lighting soon becomes not so mellow. That and I am definitly NOT going to try and make some Rube Goldbergarian snarl of separate schedules, and many multiple ones for each light at that, in a feeble attempt to make my lights behave close (and please kindly note that I didn’t say “exactly” instead of close) to how I want them to. That is the very antithesis of what having smart devices/homes is all about.

I’m willing to cut Lifx some slack, but I would like to see someone honestly respond to that slack and not just do the usual song and dance or not really address it at all.

OK. I’m done venting. I don’t feel much better, but I’m done. For the time being. :wink:

1 Like

So any any updates on this?

Sounds like you need a bulb with a battery to remember and track its own settings during times it’s switched off at the wall.

I bought these bulbs thinking this is what they would do and they’re just an annoyance to everybody in the household without this feature, so they’re just used a standard dumb, but expensive, bulbs now.

So, I got fed up with my motion sensing technique to activate a scene when the switch turns on the bulbs that I crafted in Home Assistant. The lights take ~10 secs to acquire WiFi. Who wants to wait that long for the lights to know what to do. So, I bought the LIFX wall switch. To my dismay, there’s no way to obtain the desired function. If you have scenes set to particular times of the day & you switch the lights off with the LIFX switch - the lights will come on regardless. There’s no way to NOT have the lights activate. I just wanted the color change at a given time & then the wall switch to power on the lights or not. No way with ANY of LIFX’s gear.

So, I obtained the desired behavior with Home Assistant & Node Red. Lights change color within 2 secs now. The flow can be downloaded here.