Detecting which protocol version to use

Thanks for all the info! What’s the best way to know if a bulb supports Protocol v2?

You can’t use the firmware version for that and AFAIK, the protocol field in the header is still set to 1024 (v1) for all firmware versions.

Well its getting late here in the Melbourne office, so you might have to wait until Monday until I get more details from the firmware guys.

However AFAIK the only bulb that does the old firmware version was The Original, and all firmwares since 2.0 have spoken the v2 protocol. So you should be able to do it with the Device::StateHostFirmware and the Device::StateVersion messages.

The Color 1000 appears to ship with firmware 1.6, so looking if the firmware version is ≥ 2.0 doesn’t work. Likewise my White 800 firmware version is 1.5 and I updated it somewhat recently.

I don’t see anything that could relate to the protocol version in Device::StateVersion.

If the firmware version < 2.0 and the bulb is a LIFX Original then use the older protocol. Otherwise use the newer protocol.

1 Like

Alright, so I updated my non-lifx original bulbs, the Color 650 now runs 2.1 and the White 800 now runs 1.7, does that mean the White 800 still doesn’t support protocol v2?

Also something happened with the Color 1000: it pulses between bright and dim white at startup and that’s it, what does it means?

Thanks

edit: the upgrade finally went through!

All versions of the White 800, Color 650, Color 1000 and any other bulb that isn’t the ‘LIFX Original’ bulb support the firmware 2.0 protocol.

With your Color 1000, you should contact support at support@lifx.com.

1 Like

[quote=“daniel_hall, post:6, topic:576, full:true”]
All versions of the White 800, Color 650, Color 1000 and any other bulb that isn’t the ‘LIFX Original’ bulb support the firmware 2.0 protocol.[/quote]

Doh! ok, yeah I get it know, I’m finally reading your previous post correctly.