LIFX Developer Zone

Dhcp server software

In trying to resolve an issue with my lifx bulbs going off line all the time, I planning on using a windows 10 dhcp server instead of the ASUS router’s dhcp server.

This will tell me if my issue is with my router or with the lifx bulbs.

Any suggestion as to what software to use for dhcp server supporting static IP address?

I don’t think that will tell you if the issue is the router or not… it might tell u if the issue is related to your routers DHCP services or not - but it doesn’t make sense that it would be DHCP causing the lights to disconnect - DHCP is used to assign an IP when a device is started

In terms of software, dnsmasq is a good Linux dhcp… for windows, it looks like windows server can do dhcp

Omg, I don’t think you have been listening.

Dhcp server on my router works all the time when the lifx bulbs are turn on for the first time.

The problem occurs later when the lifx bulbs want to renew the lease.

Dhcp server offers an IP address but the lifx bulb does not finish the conversation with request and acknowledgement.

Hense the lifx bul keeps trying to renew the lease and finally gives up. The bulb is now off line.

dnsmasq is a good Linux dhcp… for windows, it looks like windows server can do dhcp

Is there any way you can text a lifx bulb with an ASUS rut-ac86u, I’d be happy to ship my router to you with my config and you can try to figure it out.

Darrin J. Calcutt

jamesmurphyau
August 9

dnsmasq is a good Linux dhcp… for windows, it looks like windows server can do dhcp

Wow, you would ship your router to a random on a forum? That’s extreme

Is this you? I googled LIFX and RT-AC86U and found many posts by this person

Have you tried running packet captures on your router? A packet capture with a filter that shows all traffic to/from the light MAC address (as seen by the router) and all broadcast traffic

Also, have you tried a lifx light plugged into a lamp and placed next to the router? I do this sometimes to rule out wifi as an issue I might be having (if the light is right next to the router, that rules out any potential wifi problems as the cause)

Also, this person has a recommendation:

I’m sick and tired of issues with lifx!

The packet capture is why I know there is and issue wi lifx when renewing the lease.

Having the light bulb right beside the router… do you really know anything?

If you must know, I own a 1650 sq ft bungalow
Two access points are on the main floor, and two access point are in the basement. Lifx bulb don’t do by -65 dB, as indicated the the access points. Each acess points also has, up to, 16 dbi antennas. 2.4Ghx is limited to a 20 MHz bandwith. SSID is specific to the bulbs only.
The log files from my log server clearly show the lifx bulb refusing to acknowledge the given IP address give by the dhcp server.

Like I said, getting sick and tired of Lifx and it’s management team, producing new products taking a priority over getting older issues.

Lifx making excuses, when yet I and others are having the same issues and more.

Just calling the kettle black.

Ever since lifx was bought… by Buddy in feb 2019 approx, I feel left in the dust for corporate profit.

Darrin J. Calcutt

jamesmurphyau
August 9

Wow, you would ship your router to a random on a forum? That’s extreme

Is this you? I googled LIFX and RT-AC86U and found many posts by this person

Have you tried running packet captures on your router? A packet capture with a filter that shows all traffic to/from the light MAC address (as seen by the router) and all broadcast traffic

Also, have you tried a lifx light plugged into a lamp and placed next to the router? I do this sometimes to rule out wifi as an issue I might be having (if the light is right next to the router, that rules out any potential wifi problems as the cause)

I use a script.

There is a limitation by ASUS of 128 static devices in the GUI.

I have more that 128 devices. I keep my lease list organized.

(Attachment Video.mov is missing)

Still waiting for a reply.

I’m not by any means an expert but I purchased your router a month ago and had tremendous issues with clients dropping and disconnecting.

After trying different official firmwares and other stuff from the net I ended up installing the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and all issues just vanished. I personally installed version 384.13 although they say in their website version 384.18 is stable too.

best of luck

I’m at 384.19 beta now. What router model are you using? Maybe you can share your setting.

Thou I’ve been working on this for a year+ now, I’m sure I tried everything.

I’m using many RT-AC86U units.

How many bulbs do you have?

not many, I have 13 bulbs, 50 connected devices in total… why not give it a shot? there’s nothing to lose

try the 384.13 version believe me… I first tried the latest Merlin version and it produced even more problems than the official firmware. Give 384.13 a shot

Regarding settings, I’m a noob, settings are exactly as they were out of the box

13 is small, I have almost 90 bulbs and other stuff

Did a different DHCP server fix your issue? This post is all about asking for DHCP software - interested in how it went…

If it didn’t fix it, are u ruling out DHCP as the issue?

If it did fix it, then there’s your fix… get something else to handle DHCP…

If you have a spare router, you could just plug that in to do just the DHCP - since all routers have that basic function… then you wouldn’t need to run a server to do the DHCP

All my routers at the same brand so I can’t see there being any difference in using a separate router for a DHCP server.

I haven’t had time to set up a DHCP server on my Windows 10 machine yet pretty busy at work