Extra cycle in Pulse/Breathe effect, when bulb is initially off

I had noticed a peculiar behavior with the LIFX Color 1000 when using a Pulse or Breathe effect.

I have noticed that if I set the bulb (currently off) to Breathe or Pulse the color red, (1 Period, 2 Cycles), the bulb will turn ON to red, turn OFF / turn ON to red again, turn OFF again / then turn ON to the last color that was set (In my case Bright White), then turn OFF. So, essentially it does three pulses/breaths of Red, Red, Last Color set when on.

This is rather odd because when the Bulb is turned off and a Pulse command is sent… it pulses an extra period and an extra color (previously set, and which is very bright in a dark room).

This also occurs if the pulse or breathe is initiated with no specific period or cycle. The bulb will turn on to the chosen color and then turn off and then turn on to the last color set and then then turn off.

Could anyone please verify that this is the case everywhere or is my bulb just acting weird?

I have seen the same thing with my IFFT notifications. I have seen the lights do many different things from come on in the old colour for a bit then pulse at red then again etc. This does not happen all the time for me and only when the lights are off, if the lights are on they don’t have any issue.

Thank you for sharing your observations. It is rather strange, the behavior of the bulb when off.

Can anyone else please check if their bulb does the same when initially off?

Essentially… does your bulb pulse/breathe the desired color and then follow with an extra flash of the last color set when the bulb was on before sending the pulse/breathe command?

Can anyone please check, following these steps:

1. Turn your bulb on
  2. Set it to a color (Keep track of this color. Example:Yellow)
  3. Turn your bulb off (via app/api etc)
  4. Send a pulse command of a different color (Example:Red)

What Happens? Scenario A or Scenario B?

A) Does you bulb turn on and pulse the color (Example:Red) and then turn back off?

B) Does you bulb turn on and pulse the color (Example:Red) and then turn back off and then turn on again and pulse the last color (Example:Yellow)?

Thanks everyone ! :slightly_smiling:

I’ve been able to replicate this on my setup, so it does look like a bug in our HTTP API. I don’t yet know why this is happening, but we have raised a bug report internally so we will start investigating shortly.

Also thank you very much for taking the time to report this to us! I’ll post here again when we have identified the cause.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay on this one. We have isolated the cause of the issue and developed a fix. We are currently testing it in our staging environment. We expect to be pushing it out to production before the end of today (in AU). I’ll let you know when the fix is live.

The fix is now in production. We would appreciate it if you could test it and let us know if it matches what you expect to see now.

Hi Daniel,

I just tested the Pulse/Breathe effect.

Here are the results:

(Scenario A) - WORKS PERFECT

1. Light set to OFF (last color set 3500K)
  2. Send: Pulse/Breathe effect to Pulse color Red, 1 period, 2 cycle.
  3. Result:
    Action 1:Bulb turns on Red (1s),
    Action 2:Turns off (1s),
    Action 3:Turns on Red (1s),
    Action 4:Turns off (indefinitely).
    Notes: (All identical periods/durations = 1s = 1 second)

(Scenario B) - WORKS PERFECT

1. Light set to ON (3500 K, lets call this color setting “Room Light”)
  2. Send: Pulse/Breathe effect to Pulse color Red, 1 period, 2 cycle.
  3. Result:
    Action 1:Bulb turns Red for (1s),
    Action 2:Turns back to “Room Light” (1s),
    Action 3:Turns Red for (1s),
    Action 4:Turns back to “Room Light” and stays indefinetely.

(Scenario C) - WORKS BUT WITH AN EXTRA ACTION.

1. Light set to OFF (last color set 3500K)
  2. Send: Pulse/Breathe effect to Pulse color Red, (from Blue), 1 period, 2 cycle.
  3. Result:
    Action 1:Bulb turns on Blue (1s),
    Action 2:changes to Red (1s),
    Action 3:changes to Blue (1s),
    Action 4:changes to Red (1s),
    Action 5:changes to Blue (0.8s). <<<< Unnecessary :tired_face:

Notes: Scenario C + Action 5 seems to be unnecessary and undesirable as it is the "from color" and should not be last.

(Scenario D) - WORKS BUT WITH AN EXTRA ACTION AND DURATION.

1. Light set to ON (3500 K, lets call this color setting “Room Light”)
  2. Send: Pulse/Breathe effect to Pulse color Red, (from Blue), 1 period, 2 cycle.
  3. Result:
    Action 1:changes to Blue (1s),
    Action 2:changes to Red (1s),
    Action 3:changes to Blue (1s),
    Action 4:changes to Red (1s),
    Action 5:changes to Blue (4s). <<< Big Noticeable Problem :anguished:

Notes: Scenario D + Action 5 is a problem and feels like an odd behavior where the bulb just sits there on Blue forever.

I have tested with different “Period” lengths and found Action 5 to be persistent.

I believe eliminating Action 5 would be the best as it is the “from color” and should not be the last color before going back to original state prior to command, furthermore.

Note: This occurs in both Pulse and Breathe effect command.
Note: All commands were sent via API Endpoints on Developer site.

Anyone please see if these results replicate in your setup.

Thanks for reporting these other cases, we’re working on a fix. No ETA yet on when it will be deployed though.