Google home local execution

You can control a bed with google assistant lmao,

so can I program stuff on google actions for my lifx light or is it just you guys that can do that
bc I want scene control

I’m not entirely sure the process for individuals to add their own skills to the google home, it’s probably possible.

What we’ve done is make a “direct action” which is why you don’t have to do something like “hey google, tell lifx to turn on my light” and can instead say “hey google, turn on my light”. The former being a “conversation” skill.

For scenes, let’s say you have a scene called “dream”, you can say “hey google, activate the dream” or “hey google, turn on dream” and it should turn on your scene.

Ah that’s how you do it, I’ve been using IFTTT, which is slow.

Do you know if individuals can use direct actions or does it have to be conversations?

I’m not sure. You need your own OAuth server I believe (and there is an approval process) so it’s possible even if you could it would be quite a bit of effort

I could be wrong though of course!

Maybe I am wrong, it appears diagflow may be helpful here - https://medium.com/swlh/chapter-6-how-to-build-a-google-home-app-with-dialogflow-overview-4549d92d8d6a

Or with api.ai How to create a custom private Google Home Action with API.AI and Google App Engine | by Sara Craba | Google Cloud - Community | Medium

I wouldn’t call this “simple” though :slight_smile:

Yikes, I think I’ll just use IFTTT, join, tasker and all that stuff. Would be awesome if stringify was still around but I should be able to make do with that.

yeah, it’s a bit like that!

Hopefully you can get something to work :slight_smile:

If you’re up for a challenge, you might want to check out Home Assistant. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but it’ll give you local control of almost any smart device you can think of. It’s really powerful.

Yeah had a look at it, will have to get an rPi

Or just get a Homey from Athom :smiley:

Homey is okay, it’s a little expensive and doesn’t play well with google assistant, I’m thinking I’ll get a hubbitat

Oh? Mine seems to work just fine in combination with google actually. But who knows what secret factors are involved there :smiley:

They must have updated it, I heard that homey wasn’t good with it.

Pretty sure api.ai is ~dialogflow v0.9 - they just renamed it.

Nest mini absolutely does local execution.

If you use a Google Home device to control lights that are in the same “Room” in your settings, you’ll get a chime. Otherwise you’ll get a full voice response. I’m pretty sure both are still doing local execution.

Also as the GH knows which room it’s in, you can just say “turn off/turn on/dim the lights” and it’ll do just that room.

If you set up a “Routine” you can chain together a bunch of actions, which can include LIFX controls.

Hope that’s all helpful.