LIFX Developer Zone

Help us test changing the default power on color!

Thats right! You asked for it, and we’ve built it, or at least we think we have, we need your help to make sure it works as we expect. So here’s how to help:

1. Update your bulb to the latest beta firmware. If you haven’t got permission to use the Beta in the past, either email support@lifx.com and ask, or PM me. If you update without permission your warranty may be void. The firmware updater will update all bulbs connected to your network, so you might want to turn off all bulbs except for one to test first before you update them all.
  2. Download the new LIFX configuration app for either Windows or OSX. If anyone really really wants a Linux build let me know.
  3. Fill in the serial number of the bulb whose default color you’d like to change. Check the ‘Change Power On Default Color’ check box.
  4. Fill in the values for the color you would like
  5. If you want to turn off the white restore checkbox.
  6. Press the apply button
  7. Power cycle your bulb and check that it came back to the color you chose.
  8. Change the bulb color to something different and then power cycle it again, check that it returned to the color you expected.
  9. If you are testing the white restore feature, power cycle the bulb twice quickly (1-2s between), check that it worked as expected.
  10. Comment on this thread and let us know how it went, and what you think of this new feature. If your bulb stops responding after using this tool please PM me.

Also I’d like to make a note for the people who plan to reverse engineer this, be extremely careful with these messages, many settings of these messages can put the bulb in a locked state where it will only be able to communicate via the cloud (or at all if you don’t have a cloud connection). I suggest that you don’t try.

This tool and the features it enables come with no warranty. While this is something we really want for our users LIFX may decide not to release it or remove it from future firmware versions.

Force bulb to 'check in' for settings before turning on from switch
Change default color temperature

Excited! I’ll give this a try at the first opportunity.

EDIT: will we be able to change the default color on-the-fly via the API?

Very nice to see ongoing additions like this, proves the commitment to the product.
Is this for all bulbs or all but the original bulb ?

Thtat’s great news!!! Will test this out as soon as possible (moving right now).

Thanks for listening to your customers!!!

Or you could document the messages so we don’t have to reverse engineer them. :grinning:

I’m happy to see the new feature, but disappointed that once again functionality is being reserved for official apps only.

So Daniel,

Original bulbs miss out or all bulbs get this ?

Will this work with Original bulbs? I know I’m pushing it, but how about changing the white restore to a specific, user defined K value?

I asked twice, didn’t get an answer. I seem to remember the original bulbs got a final firmware release so I suspect not.

Any news on when this will be released?

This is something we have currently only released for the Color 1000. We are yet to make a decision on if it will be backported to the Original firmware.

I have Color 1000, it is officially released?

We are still in the beta testing stages for this firmware release. We don’t have an eta yet on when it will be officially released and made more widely available.

I still haven’t tested this yet, but I still plan to. Again, I’d like to see the ability to change the default color on the fly, programatically.

@abrythenabry Thanks for the feedback we will certainly be looking at the best way to implement this feature going forward.

I’m glad that no decision has been made regarding the Original - no decision is better than deciding not! Consider this a request for the Original :slight_smile:

Same. A blanket “no” means LIFX does not support older product so which does not bode well. Saying no because the bulb can’t support it is understandable.
I would rather know that adding it is possible but it would add an instability factor that wasn’t acceptable to quality control as well.
Otherwise just do it. Keep the product up to date show they are committed to their older products.

Awesome I got my bulbs just yesterday and figured this was a feature I wanted after just an hour of use!

I have a suggestion to make it more intuitive. How about adding a function to add different timezones with different default settings. For example if power cycled during day set lamp to 3000k at 80 %. If at night set to 2500k at 25 %. I have a lamp placed over stairs and if I have to walk down during night I’d like if the lamp didn’t blast my eyes. I think this could be a smart feature you could use to market your product.

Better yet get yourself Logitech pop. You have a single click, double click or long click.
Each click is either the click does the same thing each time or works in switch style mode. i.e. click once on click again off. (this has it’s own issue as the system does not remember between different clicks so click once is on, click twice for change colour resets the status of a single click)

This way you could click once full light, click again to turn them off, double click could be turn on but at a much dimmer level but red (great at night to red light is much better when getting up from sleep) and even set the lights to then turn off over 5 mins.

I have a suggestion to make it more intuitive. How about adding a function to add different timezones with different default settings. For example if power cycled during day set lamp to 3000k at 80 %. If at night set to 2500k at 25 %. I have a lamp placed over stairs and if I have to walk down during night I’d like if the lamp didn’t blast my eyes. I think this could be a smart feature you could use to market your product.

After reading your post I was about to suggest a workaround for your request with schedules from the app. e.g set a schedule to change the color and brightness to your desired levels for specific times of day but leave the action (toggle) parameter to unchanged. Unfortunately when I tried this doesn’t seem to work. I’m somehow surprised it doesn’t though. As far as I know it should be possible for the HTTP protocol to change the color/brightness of bulbs even when they are toggled off. Can someone please comment on this? If this is not possible consider this a feature request :slight_smile:

EDIT: Actually this does work! But for me schedules only work if submitted from the iOS app but not from android.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. Will look into them.