HomeKit Adaptive Lighting support?

Hey LIFX team,

Now that iOS 14.2 and audioOS 14.2 are out, which are required to support Adaptive Lighting, any idea when we might see a firmware update that adds the required HomeKit characteristics to support this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Itā€™s still being worked on, but hopefully should be in the next round of updates (after the current one thatā€™s in beta)

2 Likes

So basically never. Thereā€™s been one rollout since Iā€™ve gotten mine a year ago.

There has indeed historically been a long time between firmware releases, but adaptive lighting will definitely get into the firmware.

For a more extensive discussion on support you may wish to reference https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/iv3flf/adaptive_lighting_on_ios_14/ including my comment about how/why we got to this point and a related comment here about ā€˜Threadā€™ API support showing requests for firmware support going back AT LEAST 5 yearsā€¦ https://github.com/LIFX/lifx-protocol-docs/issues/16 as well as more recently here on the Lifx boards- https://community.lifx.com/t/lifx-thread-support/7349/2)

I understand it takes some time to mitigate some of the previous errors but how long is reasonable will have to be question we each have to ask ourselves. As a long time Engineer who managed a number of significant projects, perhaps we could get a public beta started up for the 2 features. If so this MIGHT go a long way to showing that all these promises of improvement may actually bear fruit and slow the erosion of confidence in Lifxā€¦ Thank you for considering the request(s).

3 months laterā€¦ Still waiting. Need I say more?

I am testing different bulbs to outfit my home. I like LIFX, but the lack of adaptive lighting w/Homekit is almost a deal breaker. Please let me know when the adaptive lighting firmware release is planned. Iā€™d be willing to participate in a beta release if that would be helpful.

I hate to say this while you hart might be in the right place, asking to help test will be pointless as we have previously asked. Look at all the people in the reddit thread I referenced who not only offered to test but ALSO gotten fed up with how the company has decided to treat their customers (bulbs that canā€™t be reset, warrantee replacement delays, hell they stoped even responding for over 6 month, the list continues, or would have if they hadnā€™t closed the threadā€¦) https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/iv3flf/adaptive_lighting_on_ios_14/

Those of us that have asked to help with testing for well over a year and been met with Covid excuses, then apologies, and finally ā€œitā€™s comingā€¦ā€

As I mentioned in my first post on reddit the company just doesnā€™t care. They were sold off (check net for details), and have gone down the tube. They are literally trying to milk what they can before folding. I gave the person from Lifx who posted there (and here) the benefit of the doubt that THIS year would be different and they want to try to rebuild the trust they squandered away in 2020, but the first 5 months of 2021 certainly looks A LOT like all of 2020ā€¦

Lifx is there any updates on this you can share? Maybe a Christmas present for us all?

1 Like

Unfortunately I would suggest you look to alternative providers as has been mentioned in many other posts (NanoLeaf, Phillips, etc).

Alternatively you can do what I am in the process of doing when I get the time (set up adaptive lighting in Home Assistant, and tray the Lifx bulbs as a ā€œdumbā€ device and let the home assistant server tell the bulbs what color and brightness they should be throughout the day).

I you want further reason for my abandonment of LIFX for any future purchases take a look at what Lifx has done over the 14 or so months since they apologized for the past and ask folks to give them a chance to make it right.
Adaptive lighting

Many broken promises that have unfortunately shown what the future with Lifx will continue to be.

ā€”T

Agree. LIFX has gone dark. Look elsewhere. This is from someone who has over 20 of their products. Sad really.

Still no Apple HomeKit Adaptive Lightning support?
What is going on LIFX? :frowning:

Update on this subject?