LIFX Developer Zone

iOS app validates SSID

i wanted to ask why the iOS app validates the SSIDs of the lights and the SSID they joined at the time.

I’ve got a pretty special network since I want to shield the lifx bulbs from the internet.

So I start using udp broadcast relay to forward broadast message to and forth from 2 different networks.

To my surprise this didn’t work!!! This didn’t work with the iOS app because my SSID on my iPhone has changed to a different one where I had my bulbs on.

Why does the app need to check the SSID???
I tried a third party app and my network setup work. The broadcast relay was working as expected. Lights were detected and I could control them.

The official iOS app did not work at all. With my special network setup.

Is there any particular reason why the app needs to check SSID?

As long as the bulb is picked up through discovery then it should be accessible via the app.

I read some people having 2.4ghz wifi and 5ghz wifi being on different SSID and they get affected too.

Hi @magnum00,

I have no idea why your specific setup does not work, but the iOS app does nothing to prevent bulbs from a different SSID to get discovered.

The iOS App will broadcast discovery packets from ANY port to 56700 and listen for answers on the originating port (and 56700 if it is available). Subsequent communication is done using unicast from ANY port to the bulbs ip on 56700. It will display any bulb its state it can obtain during that method, independent of any SSID.

Indeed I have two access points in my house with different SSIDs and I can use the app to control bulbs on any of it.

Hope that helps you resolve your network configuration problems,

Thank you so florian for getting back to me.
I will spend more time to try and confirm whether the setup allows for these connection types.

Might have to play with wire shark.

Will report back my findings thanks!!!

I did some more testing and was still unable to get it working.

I have two wireless SSIDs which I am bridging with a raspberry Pi. Raspberry has ip forwarding enabled.

I have static routes making them route their respective subnet to each other.

SSID1: 192.168.1.x
Static route: to Gateway (raspberry adataper ip

SSID2: 192.168.10.x
Static route: to Gateway (raspberry adataper ip

Udp broadcast relay between raspberry Pi adapter 1 and 2. Ie and What udp broadcast relay does is relays all broadcast to the other adapter leaving the source ip the same however changing the seat ip from to subnet broadcast ip ie or

The main reason for this kind of setup is to not allow lifx bulbs onto the internet.

I haven’t figured why the iOS lifx app doesn’t pick up my lights. But a third party app ‘onswitch for hue / lifx’ does pick up my lights in this instance.

If it’s is not SSID validation could it be subnet validation?
I can’t see any reason why the discovery process isn’t working?

Are you sure there is no SSID validation. Also @florian both your SSIDs would have internet access would this make a difference???

Hi @magnum00,

only forwarding broadcast messages will not do the trick for the iOS App as it uses unicast messages to query the lights state.

It might be that onswitch always uses broadcast messages to communicate.

And no the iOS app does not uses subnet validation. It solely relies on above mentioned mechanism, as long it is can send and receive messages from the bulb it does not care about how the messages are routed.

Apart from querying time using sntp I don’t think the bulbs are connecting to the internet unless you claim them to your account.