IPv6 support for LAN APi

When can we expect bulbs that can be configured with an IPv6 address and respond to the UDP LAN protocol via IPv6?

More than 50% of US mobile traffic is IPv6. Nearly 40% of US fixed wireline traffic is IPv6.

This is overdue.

Unfortunately, so far, all of the manufacturers are failing in this regard.

1 Like

I was pleasantly surprised to see there finally was a GU10 alternative available again and I was ready to finally replace my Hue-install, but no way I’m doing that without IPv6-support. I’ve been asking for this since the first kickstarter bulbs.

Making smart home devices in 2018 without IPv6 is plain mad. 60% of the internet traffic in Belgium are IPv6 now. 40% in Germany and Greece.

If Lifx wants to lead the way in smart homes and not just follow the others they need to implement IPv6 in their products soon, and I don’t mean just their websites.

The IETF has create a set of Homenet specifications, to describe the near future of home networking. (See https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/homenet/documents/). It is all IPv6 based, and makes a very good case for IPv4 and all of its NAT’ing problems to go away. What’s the holdup? Devices like the LIFX and Yeelight bulbs that don’t talk IPv6 :frowning:

This was true even without home net specifications. It’s absurd to be making IPv4 only products in this day and age. It’s been absurd for at least 10 years.

Is there a technical limitation that prevents LIFX bulb firmware being upgraded to use IPv6?

When it comes to home networks pretty much 0% use IPv6. Major carriers use it e.g. mobile phones but home networks etc very minimal.

when 99% of home users are on IPv4 there is no rush to IPv6 however the product should ideally support it.

yes it would be nice to address the bulbs via IPv6, with over 300 bulbs in a block of flats (a set of homes with shared lighting of hallways, entrances and external walkways ) its definitely needed.

It would be nice to put LIFX on a VLAN that was IPv6 enabled, the silicon vendor espressif supports IPv6 so its up to the firmware to enable a dual stack of both IPv4/IPv6 to enable industrial investments and design.

Vodafone in NZ, and Telstra here in Australia supply broadband modems which seamlessly provide IPv6 access to their users on the LAN, by default. I suppose you could say that that’s still only 0.2% but that figure is only going to go up, not down.

100% of home users have IPv4. However, a very high percentage of them also have IPv6 or at least the ability to turn IPv6 on easily. All Comcast subscribers in the US are covered now. The vast majority of AT&T DSL and/or uVerse customers are covered. The bulk of Time Warner/Charter customers are covered.

By measurements published by Akamai, more than 50% of US Internet traffic is now IPv6.

It’s well past the point where it is acceptable to ignore IPv6 if you want your product to have a reasonable lifespan.