LIFX bulb communication with Alljoyn

LIFX bulb is alljoyn compliant device, So is it possible to communicate with LIFX bulb without using LIFX API?

The LIFX White 800 product includes Alljoyn support. You can talk to this bulb using the AllJoyn protocol instead of the LIFX protocol.

Can you give me some tips , to start with alljoyn, Is it alljoyn lighting service framework from where I need to start?

For getting started with the Alljoyn Lighting Service Framework there is the getting started guide by the Allseen Alliance. I’m currently working on learning it myself, so I’m afraid I don’t have any further information. I’ll update this thread when I get further into it.

Thanx for your reply, I have already set up alljoyn framework on Linux system but have problem to setup Lighting service frame work, it stuck with build process (Scons file problem), Let me update if you found something related to this.

Daniel

As an active contributor to openHAB and Eclipse Smart Home, I was wondering if you could enlighten us on the future plans of LIFX with respect to the LIFX protocol: will it be replaced completely by AllJoyn in the future, or will it be there forever? If so, what timeframe should we take into account? If the LIFX protocol is to go, then we might reduce our effort on it as well in favor of AllJoyn obviously

Tx
Karel

@daniel_hall, A question related to the one from @kgoderis: Do you plan to add support for AllJoyn in the color LIFX bulbs as well through a firmware update? If so, when can this be expected?

@kgoderis I’m not aware of any plans to drop either AllJoyn or the LIFX protocol from the bulbs. The intention for the foreseeable future is to maintain both the LIFX protocol and the AllJoyn protocol on our bulbs.

I see AllJoyn and the LIFX protocol both covering separate functions. The LIFX protocol is simple build and use, but it is specific to LIFX only (unless someone chooses to emulate it), and AllJoyn is more complicated, but covers a much larger range of manufacturers and devices. Which one you implement will depend on the scope of your application.

My guess is that openHAB and Eclipse Smart Home would be better off focusing on implementing the Lighting Service Framework from AllJoyn so that when more AllJoyn lights are produced that are automatically compatible. Obviously you are in a much better place to make this decision though.

@kai I don’t have anything to announce at the moment.

@daniel_hall, I tried to do exactly this, but unfortunately failed doing so, see https://lists.allseenalliance.org/pipermail/allseen-lighting/2015-July/000073.html.

Would LIFX support me to get LSF working on Java?

I saw a demo at build (at around the 20 minute mark) in which a Lifx VP demoed alljoyn communicating with a multicoloured lifx bulb.
You obviously had something that works at least some of the time, so what happened?

The demo you saw was by John Cameron. That was built using the Visual Studio Alljoyn plugin.

I’ve used this too and managed to control the bulbs, but I don’t really count it as ‘knowing AllJoyn’ as everything is abstracted away from you. Its basically an auto SDK generator.

I was referring to alljoyn working on the what I am assuming were original lifx bulbs

I’ll check with John and see what they used in the demo. Sorry for the confusion.

I would be interested to try Alljoyn on the LIFX Original as well

hi, Daniel
I have a bulb whose model is BUL-11-A19E27-W. After upgrading to the latest firmware, the switch of the light can be controlled by the alljoyn 14.06 lsf API normally. But the property of the light can not be controlled. There is no reaction after setting with api, however, it’s normal to obtain the value set. For example, after I set up the brightness, the light have no change, but I can obtain the value I set before from API.

Hi Daniel,

I have set up alljoyn framework and have onboarded LIFX bulb through alljoyn only.Now I can communicate to the LIFX bulb on my local network and it seems to be consistent. But same behavior is not observed when I communicate LIFX bulb on home network or public network with internet connection enable. If i remove internet connection from home network then it works consistent. So can you explain me, what would be the cause?

Hi Daniel,

I have set up alljoyn framework and have onboarded LIFX bulb through alljoyn only.Now I can
communicate to the LIFX bulb on my local network and it seems to be consistent. But same behavior
is not observed when I communicate LIFX bulb on home network or public network with the internet
connection enable. If i remove internet connection from home network then it works consistent. So
can you explain me, what would be the cause?

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I am having the same issue as @keyurgandhi :frowning:
I have compiled alljoyn version 15.04 SDK on my linux machine, as I understand from alljoyn’s site that this version is certified to work with my LIFX White 800 E26.
I am seeing the some weird behavior:
Communicating with the bulb on local network when there is no WAN (the bulb cannot talk to the cloud component) works fine, and consistently so, however, when there is WAN access the behavior is very, VERY, sporadic at best, sometimes it will work and sometimes not, trying to simply turn the light on and off.
When trying to debug the issue I capture the traffic on my linux and do see the alljoyn messages of TransitionLampState and get a reply of LampStateChanged, but the same messages arrive even when the bulb does not react to the change, meaning the bulb returns a “state changed” message when it does not change its state…

Any idea how should I proceed?

@keyurgandhi, did you ever find a solution for your problem?

Thanks in advance,

Royi

1 Like

Hi Royi,

Thanks for the details on the WAN/cloud connection appearing to degrade AJ comms, we have added this to our roadmap to review along with our AllJoyn partners. We don’t have any specific workarounds or further insight on this yet, but welcome any feedback others may have on this topic.

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel,

This topic has been open for a long time… any progress to report on roadmap, partner review, or feedback?

Thanks,

Mike