LIFX GU10 Downlight

Hi, i am developing an android safety app and i am using bulbs for alert. I just bought a LIFX GU10 bulb and i tried to discover it in my WiFI lan, using LIFX LAN android SDK. NOTHING !!! Bulb is not detected at all. Android LIFX app detects it, but no other 3rd party app does it!. What is the problem ? It seems that bulb does not respond to broadcast discovery packets.

There is no Android SDK only the old one for the old firmware. Chances are it won’t work.

Hi, thanks for reply. I am using the https://github.com/getsenic/lifx-sdk-android , which is updated regurarly

We’ve replicated and fixed this issue, the new firmware is currently in internal testing.

Good morning, so what i have to do ? Wait for new firmware update ? It is possible to discover the GU10 bulb in LAN in any way in order to go on with my under development project ?

And something else: in order to try discover the bulb i must connect my phone to bulb access point or to my WiFi access point?

@tpapagiannis There is a backwards compatibility feature from when the entire LIFX protocol was broadcast messages where if the source field of the packet is set to 0 then the LIFX should respond using the broadcast address (either 192.168.1.255, or 255.255.255.255, they are functional equivalent) and a destination port of 56700. It seems instead of sending the response to a destination port of 56700, they are instead setting the destination port to the source port of the request packet. This means that the application (which is probably listening on port 56700) will not see the responses.

You can work around this by listening on the port the app is setting in the source port of their packets, and setting the source in the packet to a non zero value. This means that the bulb will respond to all requests using unicast messages which are much more efficient on a wifi network. This should greatly improve messaging speed and reliability and is recommended regardless of this issue.

Hi, thanks for reply. I will try it.
And something else: in order to try discover the bulb i must connect my phone to bulb access point or to my WiFi access point?

@tpapagiannis the light will respond to discovery messages (and other messages) over either it’s own access point or when it is connected to your Wi-Fi network.

Hello , i have tried to implement with source field but unfortunately i can not discover GU-10 bulb at all. Do you have any updated LIFX android SDK for lan v2 protocol ? It is so hard to implement the whole protocol admin from scrutch. Otherwise i will stay with Philips Hue in my app. I have a ready Philips hue android SDk for this, which is working perfect.

@tpapagiannis What language(s) are you working with? There are some 3rd party libraries that implement the LIFX LAN protocol.

Hello, i am using Android and java.

Same goes for my LIFX mini. I ordered one because I had a bunch of users report that my app couldn’t discover just the new bulbs, and wanted to see for myself. Sure enough, it doesn’t respond to discovery packets like the other bulbs. It’s frustrating that there’s no (current) SDK for iOS, or even basic sample code, so I’m left with a lot of guesswork for what can work across the entire product line.

Are you saying this wasn’t intentional, and that the new firmware update will make new new bulbs play as well as the old (and original) LIFX?

Hi @lightbow,

There is a unofficial but up to date iOS library for interacting with our lights that you can try out :

Mark

@tpapagiannis To my knowledge, there isn’t an up to date equivalent of what I posted above for Android at this time.

Thanks Mark. That project doesn’t seem to be very far along at the moment, but certainly something to build upon in the future.

As for the firmware update—just want to make sure I understand your message from 11d ago… is there a firmware update in the works that will restore discoverability for newer lights like the LIFX mini so all the apps already on the store using the “old way” would start working again?

@lightbow yes, there is another update for the LIFX Mini range that will fix that issue with discovery. It is currently in internal testing.

What do you mean by that project not being very far along? That project is a complete implementation of LIFX’s public LAN protocol. You should be able to drop it into your app and have be able to discovery and messaging to any of the LIFX products.

Finally i managed to make GU-10 works. The solution is:

1. Set the source filed of the packet to an non-zero value.
  2. Set your source port of the packet to 56700, and listen to it as you did for old bulbs…

With this way (bind to 56700) you have backwards compatibility too, so your app will discover both old and new bulbs.

@markh any news on that LIFX mini firmware update to fix the discovery issue? I’m sure a bunch of people got a LIFX mini under the Christmas tree this year, and it’s a shame that it doesn’t currently work with any of the 3rd party apps on iOS, tvOS or watchOS. It’s also the second year in a row that this has happened (new-ish hardware behaving differently from previous hardware and not discoverable by existing apps).

Yes, it’s clear to me that my app needs to ditch LIFXKit (and I’m sure others in the iOS ecosystem will eventually as well) and I look forward to evaluating that new RxLifx-Swift project you mention. Still, it appears to be new/untested, yet using an older version of Swift so I haven’t had the chance yet.