Ok so i THINK i have a pretty edge case, but I’ve replaced allt he lighting in my house with LIFX bulbs - like 40 devices in total. Gen 3 bulbs and STRIPS across a single level 4 bedroom house.
I’ve used 3 different WIFI networks (this becomes important in a second). A synology 2600AC using SMART WIFI (5ghz and 2.4ghz same SSID, auto band selection by the Router). 2 Apple airport extremes where the 2.4Ghz was dedicated for LIFX and a ubiquity set of AP’s.
I had some serious reliability issues with a subset of bulbs and this is where it gets interesting.
- Some just work - 0 problems…no common aspect in terms of type or location.
- Some mainly DONT work … keep showing as unavilable, need constant resets, and run with about 50% packet loss. Again - no common locations, or types.
- Some are reliable enough to be tolerable, but unreliable enough to be annoying.
So i’ve noticed a few interesting things
- in my TV room - i have a ceiling light set, 2 bulb spots - 2 gen 3 bulbs. 1 is perfect. 1 is BAD - looking now, one has been reset twice today, is running with 50% packet loss, and its next to another which is 100% fine.
- It seems that bulbs which have problems share something when adding to the WIFI … they dont FIND the SSID, i have to enter it by name manually, then enter the password and then they connect - but its almost 100% they will be unreliable.
- Bulbs which SCAN and FIND the wifi SSID will generally be ok.
The interesting things is - its been the case across 3 different WIFI networks .
I’d really appreciate some advice here, i want to know the best way to HELP lifx - because it seems im not alone with issues with Gen3 bulbs … but i want to fix it - not be the usual whiner.