LIFX Developer Zone

LIFX Switch Capabilities & Improvements

First time poster here…

So I’ve just received 4 LIFX Switch outlets for the home. So far they have been easy to set up and install, there was a bit of a work around with the LIFX app as the switches wouldn’t populate when searching for new device. So I had to select the section down the bottom that says unit is not recognised by home kit.

Purpose of getting the switches was to initially integrate with IFTTT for the outside lights for when I got home from work… hit a street nearby to home and didn’t have to rely on my wife to turn on the outside lights. Anyway, I’ve set that up and it works fine. However I have found that when setting up the switch, you cannot separate the four individual lights as they exist on one panel. For example;
Switch One (Entrance of Home)

• Front Eaves
  • Porch Light
  • Hallway Pendant
  • Hallway Lights

The group for the switch is called Entrance, and the ability to set a schedule is available, however as the lights are connected to the one outlet, I’ve found that LIFX haven’t given the ability to separate the lights. So if I wanted to create a schedule where the Hallway Pendant turns on just before Sunset, like with most schedules, it’s restricted to turning on the whole ‘Entrance’ group and not individual lights. Hopefully this makes sense and is something that LIFX opens up as options, as it will prove difficult in the future for users to enjoy the best experience possible. So far I’ve enjoyed the light switches in the last 24hrs, if anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away…!

Currently running
4x TV Strips
5x Lamps
4x Switch Outlets, with combination of operating fixed lights, existing LIFX lights and soon to be scenes including Google Routines (if possible)
38 smart devices in the home in total.

Purpose of the post is to give LIFX some feedback and possibly improve the product. Hopefully they improve the ability to control the lights individually.

*would have included another pic if it allowed me, may be able to in another reply.

1 Like

Hey @ChowderChimp, thanks for the feedback on the Switches. Good to hear that you like them. There is a version of the app (4.3) currently in public beta which has a separate onboarding flow optimised for the Switch. The ability to target individual relays in Schedules and display them on the dashboard will be coming in a future app release.

1 Like

Sounds great Mark, appreciate the quick response. Might be getting ahead of myself on this, but will the switches be able to act as an activation for multiple actions like google routines such as Turning on the TV, setting scenes, similar to the Flic button product, or just focusing on the LIFX products. I’m assuming integration not be that vast for brand protection, but just curious. Sorry for the 21 questions. Also, is it possible for me to join the public beta or apply?

We are investigating a number of possible expansions for Switch functionality, for both LIFX and 3rd party products. We will be surveying the first round of Switch users later this year about how they are using and would like to be able to use their Switch in the future.

To get that beta build follow one of the links below :

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.lifx.lifx

On iOS you’ll need to get the TestFlight app and download the new version.
On Android the Play Store will download the new version after a ~5 mins.

Legend!

Thanks mate.

Really enjoying the products and customer service.

Cheers

@markh
Not sure if there was an intention for this, so thought I would ask anyway.

The LIFX Switch allows the user to allocate a button to an existing LIFX device somewhere in the home. However what if the user wishes to allocate that spare switch to another Non-LIFX light which is already connected to another LIFX Switch, for example; a hallway light where the LIFX switch allocated to the light is down the other end of the home. Will it be possible to make it a ‘two way switch’ because of the LIFX connection even though it’s a non LIFX bulb? Hopefully that makes sense.

We don’t currently support that use case but it is something that we are considering.

1 Like

Hi all, Just purchased the switch the last few days and while I think its a bit underdeveloped at the moment, its a great product.

As a result of this thread, I have jumped on the testflight beta and the improvements are great.

@markh when are you guys going to make the API available for the switch?