LIFX Developer Zone

Lifx Switches - HA and poor design - shock risk

As an Australian user - in the last few weeks we received our Lifx switch -

Lucky for me a brother in law is a electrician and so I offered him a bbq to check the switch and install it.

1. I have some electrical eng experience as well and I noticed a major issue.

Australian houses commonly use a switch mount behind plasterboard that look like

Now if you mount a lifx switch on these as they are provided - there is a fair chance the screw terminals on the side of the switch will potentially contact the side of the frame

This will cause 2 issues -

1. the switch mount is energized with 240v AC current - if its touched - someone is going to get electrocuted . My house has wooden studs but I know newer houses have steel…not sure how that’s going to play out.
  2. The other screw terminals can touch as well causing a short bypassing the switches themselves and making the switch unreliable and a fire hazard.

The switches require a cover over the terminals. Honestly I don’t understand how this got past the certification for Australia.

Now aside from that - the switches don’t appear to have an decent API in terms of being able to integrate into HomeAsssist yet - anyone aware of a solution?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. We have assessed this cause for concern and have taken immediate action. To provide a better installation experience to all customers, we are providing new screws to use during installation. We are also providing support to cover the re-installation cost. If you have not reached out already, please let me know and I can coordinate further logistics with you.

2 Likes

April

Thanks for your reply - to be honest I didn’t see this email and checked the lifx page and saw the Safety warning - I am not sure if it was my message that made a difference or not but I appreciate the quick action from LIfx on the issue. I think you can access my email and probably find my order number out - if not please let me know to which email I should send that information, regarding the hardware etc and support. I will say aside from the issues I mentioned the external appearance is excellent. The only other slight issue we found was that overtighting the top and bottom install screws could cause a slight body flex and mess with the haptic touch feed back causing the switch to go haywire …our fix was to back off the install screw tension remount the face plate and then repower the switch.