LIFX Tips & Tricks Thread

What are your favorite tips for using LIFX?

Here’s mine to start us off:

Tip: If you want to set your lights on at a particular time use the scheduling within the LIFX app rather than an IFTTT rule. IFTTT rules can delayed up to 15 minutes. Schedules within the LIFX Cloud have a maximum delay of 10 seconds. You can see the current average schedule delay on the LIFX Cloud Status page.

1 Like

Lucky enough to work in an office full of LIFX bulbs but not sure which is your new LIFX bulb?

Here’s how I identify the bulb nearest to me without bothering to read the MAC address printed as its serial number. This only works for bulbs that have been factory reset, ie. are in Soft AP mode:

1. Get the free Wi-Fi Analyzer Android app
  2. Launch app on Android device and hold near to bulb
  3. Wi-Fi Analyzer graphically shows all nearby Wi-Fi devices, and the biggest one should be yours. For example, in this pic my nearest bulb’s MAC address will end in “103814”:

One of the great things about LIFX having support for controlling your lights via the cloud, is being able to check and control your lights using your phone’s 3G or 4G connection.

Now, with the LIFX app having support for wearable technology like smart watches, you don’t even have to take your phone out of your pocket.

Ever leave the house in the morning and forget to turn your lights off? No worries. Simply open the LIFX app on your smart-watch (available for Apple Watch, Android Wear), check if your lights are still on and turn them off if necessary.

Pebble users aren’t left out either. Thanks to third party developer PixelSoup and his LIFXPebble application you can control your lights from your Pebble watch too. All you need is a personal access token from the LIFX Cloud settings page.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, is there a list of known libraries and apps consolidated somewhere? My tinkering has been using a combination of Python and Node.js, I think there are some pretty mature Ruby and Java samples as well.