LIFX Developer Zone

Links to documentation sections don't work in Chromium

A link like https://lan.developer.lifx.com/docs/light-messages#section-setpower-117 should take me directly to the SetPower message. This works as I expect in Safari. But in Chromium (Version 50.0.2661.94), that link just takes me to the top of the page.

This is only true for links coming from outside the page. The links within the page work correctly even in Chromium. But I would like to be able to link to have links in the documentation I am writing (for the Haskell library) that point directly to specific messages in the Lan Protocol documentation.

Interesting… I’ve checked this in a few browsers now and so far it seems to work in Firefox, IE and Chrome. I feel like this might be a bug in Chromium. Unless you can find something that we are doing wrong …

AFAICT the HTML all looks correct too.

[quote=“daniel_hall, post:2, topic:1701, full:true”]
Interesting… I’ve checked this in a few browsers now and so far it seems to work in Firefox, IE and Chrome. I feel like this might be a bug in Chromium. Unless you can find something that we are doing wrong …[/quote]

I did some more tests with both Chromium and Chrome.

If I click on the link I embedded in my post, both Chrome and Chromium follow it correctly and go to the SetPower section. So the problem apparently isn’t with all external links, as I thought it was.

But if I copy and paste that URL into the URL bar, both Chrome and Chromium just go to the top of the page. (I’m testing with Chrome Version 53.0.2785.116 on Mac OS X 10.9.5.)

However, if I follow the link from my Haskell documentation (which is in an HTML file on the local filesystem), Chrome behaves “correctly” and Chromium behaves “incorrectly.”

I’ll look into reporting this as a bug in Chromium.

It doesn’t look like HTML to me at all. When I view the source for the page, it looks like a bunch of Javascript, along with some Markdown, so it appears to be generating the HTML on-the-fly inside the browser. (This also means it’s impossible to read with Lynx.)

I’m wondering if there’s some sort of race condition where the browser tries to find the anchor before the Javascript has finished rendering the HTML?

Well, now I tried clicking on the link in my post again from Chromium, and this time it went to the top of the page. I wonder if it’s nondeterministic. This would be consistent with the hypothesis that it’s a race condition.

I’ve filed a bug against Chromium.