LIFX Developer Zone

My Wife will remove all LIFX bulbs if I don't get a Proper Switch!

I have the LIFX A60 LED Lights in all rooms and a few LIFX Z 2m LED Kits around the house… They are brilliant… But…

I need a responsive switch on the wall or my wife will remove all the bulbs.

The app is very responsive both over wifi and 4g, so if I stuck my iPhone on the wall that would work perfectly… a battery powered device with the option to turn on and off as well as dim and select scenes. But that would be expensive, so I need a different solution.

I am currently using Flic buttons, but they are way too unresponsive. I need it to be instant. Does this exist?

LIFX - You have such a great range of bulbs now, please develop a decent switch to go on the wall:

• Battery powered

I feel your pain. My gf has resorted just not using the lights in our house. We have Flic buttons too although we have not used them recently because we were renovating the homes. When we last used them though they were fairly responsive, but not always reliable as the Flic button would sometimes disconnect from the phone.

I’ve considered using Logitech Pop switches or Wifiplug Glass+ but I suspect the delay might always exist.

pop they use a bridge and connect locally so their response time is nearly immediate.
one click can turn them on and off or then you have 2 clicks or a long click that can do other things.

Thanks - I’ll look in to the Pop solution then.

Logitech Pop starter kit on order. I’ll report back with feedback vs the Flic buttons.

The Logitech Pop kit arrived. There was a problem with one of the buttons, so I only have 1 working button for now, but I can confirm that is works very well. Very responsive… much quicker than the Flic buttons. But it does not support LIFX Scenes yet. I’m sure that will come in the future.

Have you tried to connect POPs to LIFX via IFTTT? If I remember right there is “activate a scene” trigger in IFTTT.

I had the same issue - wife hated the lights bc of the lack of a switch. Actually, as I have now used the lights for a long time I can appreciate that the lack of a switch is a major down side, and I don’t really understand why LIFX has not made their own solution. All that being said, I got the Logitech pop buttons and have heard nothing about the switch since then. The Pop buttons work great. I have them set up to turn on my den, living room and outside lights. Tap and the lights go on, tap again and they go off. It is so much easier then using a phone or even going to each of the fixtures and throwing a switch.

The answer to all of this is a simple mod that could be made to the firmware. Switch the lamp off and back on within a couple of seconds. The lamp changes state (off if on, on if off). The lightswitch now works as a switch…
I have suggested this to support, but they think it will ‘take some time’.

I solved this by using a Philips Hue Bridge and a bunch of the Philips Hue dimmer switches integrated with HomeKit.

You do need to buy at least one Hue bulb to setup the bridge and add it to HomeKit, but once that’s done, you can set each button on the switch to a different scene and a scene can contain LIFX bulbs.

Bonus is that each switch is only $34 here in Australia, so cheap enough to get a bunch.

I use IFTT with the switch, 2 clicks sets lights to a random colour and a long press calls my night scene when I am going out. Is easy to do and works well.

I am sure it does- but why does one have to buy extra kit to do something that could be integrated into the product? I also find most of this kit only works most of the time. When it does not, you have to track down where the problem is. The more products involved, the longer it takes. I seem to spend more time on this than I save with the automation…

This saved my relationship: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flic-hub-simplify-home-control-with-smart-buttons#/

HI, so I guess this is the only way to solve it. I have a macbook air and iphone SE in the drawer somewhere, will those will be enough to setup switches under homekit or do I have to configure a hub (on Apple tv or Home Pod or Ipad?)

Thanx a lot,

You will need a Hub to run the automation required to trigger the LIFX bulbs from a Hue event. That will require an Apple TV, HomePod or iPad, yes.

If you’re willing to put in a bit more effort you can achieve near instant response using either Flic buttons or Hue Dimmer Switches. For near instant response times you’ll need to ditch the cloud approach and instead run a local home automation setup on a Raspberry Pi for example.

I’m using Node-RED for orchestrating the automation but some might find for example Home Assistant easier to approach, and it could also be used for the purpose (I just don’t have experience with it to give any advice).

To get the Flic button clicks I use their free flicd daemon (https://github.com/50ButtonsEach/fliclib-linux-hci) which allows connecting them to the Raspberry Pi 3. And to receive Hue switch button clicks I use hue-mqtt-bridge (https://github.com/dale3h/hue-mqtt-bridge). There’s a plugin (node) for Node-RED to connect to the Flic daemon. The Hue MQTT bridge can be hooked up using MQTT.

There’s also a plugin for Node-RED to control LIFX lights over the local area network using LIFX LAN protocol. This removes the delay caused by latency of transmitting the button presses to a cloud server which then connects to another cloud server to change the lights. It also removes the intermittent unavailability of the cloud services.

There’s plenty of tutorials how to setup Node-RED and to learn the basics required to do something like this. Ben Scargill’s blog is a popular source for information on the topic. My favorite YouTuber Andreas Spiess also has a video on setting up Node-RED (and some MQTT basics).

Drop a reply if you need more links to assist on the process. I’m currently on mobile and my thumbs are already sore from typing this. :slight_smile: I hope someone finds this useful!

I’m in the same boat - wife demands switches, so I’m using multiple solutions. She’s happy with simple on/off rather than anything fancy the app can do on the phone, so I use LightWaveRF on/off plugs and stick on wall switches (battery operated), and all these hooked up with Amazon Echo devices as well. It means I can’t use Lifx Bulbs in my dimmable LightwaveRF installations, but I only use Lifx in free standing lamps or Lifx strips connected through LightwaveRF remote control sockets. Grouped up together and they work well - she doesn’t play with scenes or dimming, so a happy bunny now.

Having said that, handheld remotes that could be paired with products and product groups that could handle scenes and dimming would be useful - but I suspect over expensive. Time your purchase of an Echo dot and you can get them for 25-30 quid. About the price of a switch itself, so I have loads of these dotted around the house…