Photons Lan target - how does it work?

My System: Windows 10 + ( uname -r) 5.10.16.3-microsoft-standard-WSL2 + (lsb_release -a) Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS + Python 3.8.10 + Photons

I installed all the stuff above today on Win10, learned how to use the http api, then how to include it into python scripts.
All fine.

Then i tried to use Photons…and got stuck at the very first step:
lifx lan:find_devices

19:55:53 INFO photons_transport.transports.udp Creating datagram endpoint address=(‘255.255.255.255’, 56700) serial=None
!!!
Something went wrong! – FoundNoDevices
“Didn’t find any devices”

When i use $ export HARDCODED_DISCOVERY=‘{“bulbmac”: “bulbip”}’, i can find and use my lights.

My conclusion is that i dont understand the following:
Photons includes a single lan target, which is configured to discover and communicate with devices on the local network using the default broadcast address of 255.255.255.255.

What do i have to do to find my lights in Photon?

the long error message

asci@vaio:~$ lifx lan:find_devices
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Adding configuration from /home/asci/.photons_apprc.yml
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.canvas addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.control addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.core addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.pytest addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.transport addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.addons Found lifx.photons.arranger addon
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting photons_app
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting target_register
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting reference_resolver_register
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting targets
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting discovery_options
19:55:53 INFO delfick_project.option_merge.collector Converting protocol_register
19:55:53 INFO photons_transport.transports.udp Creating datagram endpoint address=(‘255.255.255.255’, 56700) serial=None

!!!
Something went wrong! – FoundNoDevices
“Didn’t find any devices”
asci@vaio:~$

Do you have multiple network interfaces connected to the machine you’re running Photons on? If so, Photons is probably using the primary interface while your bulbs may only respond to broadcasts on the secondary. This is particularly problematic if you have both a wired NIC and WiFi enabled.

If this is the case, try unplugging the NIC (or disabling wifi) and trying again.

Alternatively, set the default_broadcast field to the broadcast address of the network to which your bulbs are connected in a lifx.yml file. There are a bunch of online subnet calculators that can tell you what this is based on your network configuration.

Thx for the reply.
I got no lan.
Just an old vaio notebook with wifi.

I’ve never tried Photons myself but this sounds like a potential firewall issue. Have you allowed local network access to Photons in your firewall settings?