Run sequential commands on the bulb

As a shot in the dark, I’m wondering if it is possible, or is planned as a feature, to run an kind of command on the bulb itself, regardless of connectivity, or possibly in lieu of a good connection.

As an example, perhaps at 5 every afternoon for some reason I want my light to flash green, red, then go back to normal. Instead of having to send three separate commands over the network every day - requiring my network and all relevant devices to be on and connected - it would be ideal to have the bulb handle this locally. Perhaps this kind of system would be accessible directly via TCP/UDP in order to set these command schedules, or something to similar effect.

On a tangential note, where do we go to make suggestions for the lifx platform?

It was planned once upon a time. Back in September 2012, they said:

Yes, each smart-bulb runs a tiny scripting engine. You will be able to upload sequences that control the colours over time.

But I doubt they’re still planning it.

I’d say the best way is to direct suggestions to @daniel_hall via this forum.

This was a planned feature in the past, however security implications and various other issues meant that we had to cancel it. Indeed as the Cloud Engineer I would have loved it in order to be able to run schedules from the bulb rather than having to activate them via the internet.

Either way I’ll add another mark against that in our internal feature request tracking, so consider your suggestion, suggested.

Mark me down for it, too, please. I would love to see this feature!

And more specifically, I’d love it if the scripting engine on one bulb could talk to the scripting engine on another bulb. I’d like to (for example) be able to program one bulb so that when it’s turned on at the switch, it will tell another bulb to turn on.

1 Like

Add another mark for me. I would like the feature as well. I get the security concerns but just saying no because of them is crazy.

This would be a fantastic feature. Something like a master bulb. So you could use one switch to rule all (a set of) bulbs in the home. Combined with a “set default values” feature this could be really powerful.