Running schedules on the bulbs themselves

I have a general question about designing system architectures for IoT systems. It appears that the schedules for the LIFX bulbs are stored and run from the cloud. However, that means if there is some kind of transient networking issue between the home and the cloud at the wrong time, the light(s) won’t change.

You could imagine an alternative system design, where after setting up a schedule, code gets pushed down to the individual bulbs themselves and run at the appropriate time. The network can go down, but as long as the bulbs still know what time it is, they can still behave appropriately.

In my research lab, we’re trying to understand the priorities that lead most IoT companies to go with a cloud-based approach to running programs, where reliability is at the mercy of the weakest network link, vs. local architectures. Did LIFX ever consider system architectures that exploited local on-device computation, or was a cloud-based approach the only candidate? What are the trade-offs between one versus the other for a company like LIFX?

Excellent point!

I’d be very interested in this as well. This has enormous potential.

Does not seem like people at lifx are interested. Do you know what bulbs would work like that? I’d say preferably one that will Store flexible commands. To provide flexibility Instead of becoming another limitation.

Guess not :frowning:

I totally understand if no one from LIFX responds, between a disincentive to disclose business strategy and the fact that composing an answer to this hypothetical question would take time away from helping customers use LIFX. I’m glad the idea sounds interesting to some folks, though!