LIFX Developer Zone

Trouble getting started with LifxNet

I’m having a play with dotMorten’s LifxNet library and can’t get to square one - I’m not able to discover any devices.

I have 3 white bulbs on a simple single router network. They work just fine with the LIFX app. They are all connected to the cloud.

I noticed however that they are on a different subnet. My router is bog standard. The IP address of the PC I’m working on is 192.168.1.113 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

However the bulbs look to have ip addresses of
224.0.0.251 and

So i assume that the discovery UDP broadcast isn’t getting to the bulbs.

There’s also a couple of devices on the network with addresses of 239.255.255.250 and 255.255.255.255. I assume that they’re something to do with cloud control?

Could someone steer me in a productive direction?

THANKS

Why do you believe the LIFX bulbs are using those addresses? The 224 range is generally reserved for multicasting, so it’s very unlikely the bulbs would use those.

yes you’re right Djelibeybi. That was me not realising that arp -a didn’t necessarily show you every device on the network and assuming that those 3 were the bulbs.
I see the lifx devices with 192.168.1.xx addresses on the router.
Which leaves me to work out why the bulbs aren’t responding to the device discovery send by LifxNet…

Can you try installing Photons to see if running life lan:device_finder_info is successful? I haven’t used LifxNet much, but we can at least use Photons for troubleshooting if nothing else.

to make that simple, if you have python3.6 or above:

python3 -m venv photons
./photons/bin/python -m pip install lifx-photons-core
./photons/bin/lifx lan:device_finder_info
1 Like

Thanks Djelibeybi, delfick. I found that the discovery broadcast was going out with a value of 1 in the source which didn’t seem to work so well. I changed that to a different value and received back the discovery responses…

1 Like