LIFX Developer Zone

Unifi UAP-NanoHD OK?

We’re going to split some downlights in a new build between Hue and LIFX. Approx 57 of each. All GU-10. WiFi plan is all Unifi UAP-NanoHD’s. One concern with these vs the UAP-HD is that they require a bit higher minimum device xmit power. OTOH, we’ll have 13 Nano’s instead of 6 UAP-HD’s so fewer devices per radio and radio’s closer to devices.

Does anyone have experience with NanoHD’s and LIFX? Good? Bad? Other?

Thanks,

Not sure about the Unifi gear, but I suspect you’re likely to regret the Hue if you have the LIFX GU10s nearby. I had both and ripped all my Hue one out and replaced them because the LIFX are just so much brighter and the colours are so much more vibrant.

Totally agree with you about the brightness and colors.

However, Hue work much better with HA systems like Control4 and Crestron. The average person is unlikely to notice the difference in brightness and color depth (and color temp and CRI) but they will notice how much easier it is to control Hue vs LIFX. And they’ll especially notice that LIFX require their HA integrator to tell C4 about a new lamp or a lamp that’s moved. And they’ll notice that creating a scene with Hue is much easier and more reliable than with LIFX.

Achieving a few capabilities with Hue is much better than achieving none with LIFX.

Fair enough. I’ve not used either of those, so I’m happy to be corrected on that.

From the open source side of the fence, I find Home Assistant about the same for both, i.e. as soon as you add a new LIFX bulb or Hue device to the network using each ecosystem’s standard onboarding process, the device just appears in Home Assistant exactly like it does for the other.

I’m assuming that Hue has better integration between the stock app and the HA system, i.e. mapping of locations, etc. Sad that the LIFX integration doesn’t just pull the same information off a new bulb (because it’s all there after onboarding).

This has to be a very bullet proof user friendly system so something like Home Assistant isn’t an option. I fear there may be a very basic directional difference between Hue & LIFX. LIFX seem to be targeting DIY stuff - people buying 6 lamps and tinkering with them, maybe connecting them to Siri or Alexa.

Hue are targeting more serious applications like ours where entire houses use their lamps for all general and specialty illumination. So 100-300 lamps per house x tens of thousands of houses. Hue get that ultra high reliability and useability by average people is more critical than a few more colors or lumens. Lumens would be nice but we can easily put fixtures closer together to fix that. I’d still like to have the colors that LIFX offers though. We’ll see.

I actually like the LIFX iPhone app better than the Hue iPhone app but in most cases control will be entirely or almost entirely via Control 4 so it’s how they look and function in Control 4 that counts, not the native app.

1 Like

Well, I know I’m an anecdote not a statistic, but I run full house LIFX (but only 55 lamps) all controlled with HomeKit for automation. I’m surprised that things like Control4 don’t behave exactly the same way, though.

HA systems like Control 4 and Crestron are very tightly controlled which is critical for them to be able to offer high reliability and end-user ease of use. Manufacturers have to write drivers between their product and each of the HA systems.

LIFX has not done that so they rely on drivers written by David Chow and while OK, they’re not great. In the HA environment it appears (to my limited understanding) that LIFX may also suffer from everything having to go through the cloud between C4 and lamps which creates a lot of lag. I assume if LIFX were to write their own driver they could eliminate that but I’m not sure.

HomeKit and similar options are still a long way from offering the control, reliability and ease of use of HA systems like C4. They may get there one day but I’m guessing that’s a long way off. OTOH, we’ve seen many people use use a HomePod or similar as an interface to C4 (and I’ve done it as well). While I prefer to simply push a button on the wall controller for a specific lighting scene, I can also say ‘hey siri, turn on scene cooking in the kitchen’.

Makes sense, thanks for the info!