LIFX Developer Zone

What are you building?

@daniel_hall Good to hear! I’ll be addressing the bugs soon and I’m also open to suggestions for improving the app.

I recently put together this movie rig and wrote a python script to use LIFX bulbs to match the average colour of the screen. What do you think?

Hey that looks really cool. I would love to see a separate post explaining how you set it all up. I’m sure others would be really interested too.

I also really like that you rested the lamp stands on office chairs. :wink:

Thank you. Yes, I plan to post the code on a github once I get it all ready.

Sometimes, you need to make do with what you have. You don’t even know about the upturned bin behind the telly! haha

I’ve also written a Mac OS X framework in Swift for wrapping the LIFX HTTP API. It’s been extracted from a pet project of mine so its APIs are born out of real world usage. I’ve documented the concepts behind it in the README.

Clone it on GitHub or install with Carthage: https://github.com/tatey/LIFXHTTPKit

I wrote my first iOS app that lets you control your LIFX bulbs with your own music files and with your camera. I decided to give it away for free to the LIFX community. It is called LIFX Ambience and can be found here:

I would love to get everyone’s feedback and ideas for improvement. I plan on including a playlist manager in the next release. I also have plans for motion control functionality if that’s useful (imagine controlling your lights by tilting and moving your phone along its x,y,z axis).You can see a demo of this here:

Please feel free to share your ideas and feedback if you have any. My email address is frakman@hotmail.com
Thanks!

An extension for the alarm app called Alarmpad. So when the alarm goes of on your Android phone you can turn on the lifx bulbs according to your configuration. This feature does partially exist in the lifx app but it is way more userfriendly to not having to set up alarms in 2 different places.

Would love to implement the same feature on the standard Android alarm app (clock), but it does not communicate when the alarm goes of in anyway at the moment.

Love this idea, I want to do something similar… if perhaps more ridiculous.

I was thinking some kind of physical switch with knobs and dials to work through the different lamps and tweak their settings - preferably with the ugliest looking LCD display I can find to indicate obscurely what’s happening, and Pot knobs ripped off an 80’s stereo.

Now to go and find out what the hell UDP stands for. Gonna be a long road.

Hey everyone. I’ve been wanting to scratch my own itch and have a try at writing something for Mac OS X. I’ve open sourced a Today Extension (Notification Center Widget) that lets you toggle power on your LIFX lights via the LIFX HTTP API. It’s called Lighting.

It’s signed with my Developer ID so you can drag it into your Applications folder without worrying about Gate Keeper. LIFXHTTPKit was actually extracted from this project so it’s had some good battle testing. If you have any feedback please use my personal contact details on GitHub.

Hey !

Just wanted to share a couple of LIFX related stuff I did on my free time :).

First, there is an Objective-C wrapper around the HTTP API: here you go.
The code is documented, and you can see a full documentation on CocoaDocs - I can’t link it directly, new users can only post two links per post.
I haven’t implemented the breathe or pulse effects yet, I’ll have some free time this weekend, it should come soon.

Using this wrapper, here’s my project, LIFX Widget.
This is a complete re-write of the application. If you used the v1, you might have noticed that it crashed since the latest LIFX Firmware update. LIFXKit crashed and made the application completely unusable.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t update it sooner, but here you go, with a new set of features : control from anywhere - it’s using the HTTP API, scenes in the widget, crispy whites and so on.
If you have any suggestion, please let me know and I’ll do my best to please it :).

Oh Oh! Finally I have something to add here!

I just finished documenting the Python LIFX SDK that I’ve been working on. If you use python you can install it simply with:

pip install lifx-sdk

At the moment it handles discovery, reachability and blocking for responses. I’d love to hear you feedback. Issues can be raised on its GitHub page.

Edit: I should add that this is a personal project and is not supported by LIFX officially.

I have controlled LIFX through the RaspberyPi. If someone interested. Just ported the android java source code :stuck_out_tongue:

Want it to make cloud controller for LIFX Bulb, but then when i saw the cloud from official LIFX coming soon just gave up.

I stopped working on the LIFX Chrome application for AngularJS when realising that lifx.space exists. Instead, I’ve started work on a voice controlled Raspberry Pi application using Jasper. I have to build the Jasper module in Python, so I’ve tried using the lifx-sdk Python library. Unfortunately, it won’t discover the single LIFX light I have.

I have set up a static IP address to the light at 192.168.1.64 after seeing that discovery didn’t work. I have a BT Home Hub 5A. I’m pretty sure LIFX works with my Android phone over WiFi perfectly.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way we can troubleshoot this issue so I can go ahead with development of this project?
  2. How can I tell whether the Android app is communicating with my LIFX light via the LIFX Cloud or direct/WiFi? I want to make sure that the app isn’t simply communicating over the cloud because WiFi isn’t working.

@ThePurpleK On point 2, the simple/dumb option would be to turn off the 3G/4G data connection on your phone and unplug your wifi router from the phone socket. (Although I realise you’ve probably thought of this already and there’s probably a good reason why you don’t want to disconnect your router!)

I’m making a C# API using cURL and various other things. It’s going pretty well, and can be implemented in C# and VB (ofcourse). Here’s a little (working) preview:

//http://vgy.me/De57lo.png (apparently I can’t embed this in my post for some god-awful reason).

Please note, this is one of my first ever projects, so don’t hate too much :stuck_out_tongue:

You should be able to just drag and drop images into the text box, and it will handle them automagically.

If you can’t, maybe you don’t have enough “reputation” yet. I see you’re a brand-new user. I’m not sure exactly what things earn you reputation, or how much you need to do certain things like post images. But if you participate in the forums a bit I suspect you’ll have enough soon.

I tried dragging & dropping, but was told that as a new user I wasn’t allowed. Seems like a peculiar rule with little reason for existence, especially on a forum such as this.

I suppose to prevent spam. Maybe our host @daniel_hall can explain the reputation system when he gets back on Monday Australian time. Meanwhile, I “liked” your post to give you a little reputation boost.

Discourse Trust Levels

Back on topic, I’m building a Haskell library for LIFX. Currently I just support the LAN protocol, but I’d like to support the HTTP protocol eventually, too. I’m also building a command-line client that uses the library, to make it easy to control my bulbs from the command line. For example,

WhiteAndNerdy% cabal run -- list
Preprocessing executable 'lifx' for lifx-0.1.0.0...
Label            Pwr Color             Temp        Uptime DevID        FW  HW
---------------- --- ----------------- ------ ----------- ------------ --- -----
LIFX Bulb 02b95f On   33 100  98 3500K 63.5°C    21h1m53s d073d502b95f 2.0 O1000
Foo ÷ Bar €      On  227 100  99 3500K 59.7°C 3d11h54m18s d073d50225cd 2.1 O1000

There’s a lot more I want to do before I release it to Hackage. But if anyone has a need for it, let me know and I can do an earlier release.

I created a Go library for the LAN protocol based on the 2.0 docs, will be adding group support on the weekend now that it is documented. You can find the library on Github, and docs on GoDoc. There is a small CLI utility included that allows controlling lights from the command line.

Using the lib I also integrated LIFX support into my Kodi callback daemon, so it’s now possible to control ambilight clones (via Hyperion), LIFX bulbs, and execute commands based on Kodi events. Makes it easy to attain that full cinema experience. No support for screen sampling to the LIFX bulbs yet, but I’ll probably add that at some stage by implementing a boblight proxy or some such.