LIFX Developer Zone

What are you building?

Voice controlled lights is now in first working implementation - https://twitter.com/KelvZhan/status/637221730336002048
https://github.com/kz/lifx-jasper

And group support is now available in the golifx lib, took a little bit longer to get around to than I’d hoped.

Siri controlled LIFX bulbs

I really love seeing voice control apps. I’m not sure voice control is the future of the smart home, but damn its handy right now.

I tried Jasper but unless you want Google listening to you 24/7 the voice recognition for me was crap. I would rather control in my phone and a smart display panel or two around the house. If we had access to Amazon Echo then I would give it a go but for now it is just a fun toy to play with nothing more. Nice work though frakman.

Thanks boxhead. I also have a working prototype of Amazon’s Dash button hacked up to turn my lights on and off that I could demo next.

As promised, here is the demo of using a simple python script (utilizing Daniel Hall’s excellent LIFX SDK) to control the LIFX bulbs using an Amazon Dash Button. The code I used is included in the video.

https://youtu.be/7hhhJM_u6yg

I have a particle.io Internet Button turning lights on and off using a MQTT message broker and Dan’s Python SDK. It’s a long way from being stable and hand crafted for my setup, but has kept me amused.

First go at Python so any tips on improving it are very welcome. Thanks Dan for spending the time making the SDK.

Scripts and a massive lack of documentation is here: https://github.com/dleffo/particle-button-lifx.
Dodgy video of early build is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycp2oHMmD7c

Now the LEDs on the Internet Button go on or off to match the room lights and change to the same colour as the room. :smile:

That’s pretty cool. I have a few Particle Photon’s that I’ve been building a indoor/outdoor weather station with, but I’ve always been meaning to get an Internet button.

I’m glad to see people using my SDK, I’m starting to add a few more features to it, such as groups and locations. I’ll probably start an announcements thread on the forums when I’m ready for the next release.

Well i decided it was time for me to start learning Java, so i cobbled a very very basic (Read crappily coded) ambient light application as my very first java project.

It works, but it is a little slow as it uses the HTTP library for the moment, so it’s rate limited and can be a little off, but it’s not too bad for a first app i think :smile:

The code is rather sloppy but planning to clean it all up as i learn more Java. This is something i quickly chucked together in about 2 hours with no previous Java Experience.

Well after I got my Lifx bulbs I decided to write a home automation system… Crazy I know… I started working on it at the end of July and it starts to take shape… You can check it out at http://frawau.github.io/AutoBuddy/ far from finished, but it should be easier once I get an appliance image.

I just thought I let you know.

BTW thanks to mclarkk for lifxlan.

I’ve automated the lights in my home for both lighting rooms based on occupancy and presenting contextual information (event notifications) using lopter’s brilliant ‘lightsd’ with a vera lite controller running some custom lua scripting. I have PIR sensors in each room for occupancy, some door sensors, and window sensors, all capable of triggering groups of lights in different ways.

I’m currently running about 20 lifx original bulbs, and haven’t had any issues at this scale. I’ve shared the bulk of the scripting here on the forum; feel free to use it in your own home, or improve and share back!

Read all about it here: Lightsd: a daemon with a JSON-RPC API to control your bulbs

And please go to the top of that thread to see lopter’s work. His excellent LAN API server made it all practical!

I’ve just pushed a Pebble app - Remote for LIFX. https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/562cfbeab56e5de360000091
I’ve included the fundamental functions of toggling lights and activating scenes in the initial release. If you have any suggestions, do let me know!

I’ve built this C# Windows app => https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/3rordy/windows_app_to_control_lifx_bulbs_using_pc_audio/

It can:

• set bulb colours according to screen colours
  • set bulb colours according to sound level, sine/square/sawtooth wave or random (all within a given range of colours)
  • generate audio ambiences to go alongside colour themes

It’s targeted at those of us who want lots of features/options/control, rather than the “beautiful UI with reduced configurability” model that’s so popular.

Feature suggestions (no matter how wacky) are welcomed at the reddit thread, and I will open-source it in the next week or so, for anyone to rip the thing apart, take what they like, and laugh at my custom control code… :smiley:

Had a halloween party this year…
With a little help from a couple LIFX bulbs and a Raspberry PI hooked up to a smoke machine I wrote an app that let us set up sequences to go along with the playlist we had running.

Didn’t have much time to do it and I couldn’t get reliable strobing working via the LAN API so it ended up using the HTTP API… Surprisingly it went quite well as i was expecting issues with latency etc.

Something i might look to improve upon next year :slight_smile:

Rock your LIFX bulbs with designer animated presets! From the ultimate Christmas party to the celebration of Space Exploration, you’ll find something to transform your room into an immersive light show with Lightbow for the Apple TV.

www.lightbow.net

To celebrate the release of Apple’s new TV platform, Lightbow is giving you a glimpse at the future of connected living room lighting. Over the coming months, all the powerful features of our iPhone and iPad app will come to your television set, but for now, enjoy the “Starter Pack” presets (included with your app purchase), and the largest variety of add-on collections (available as in-app purchases). We are scaling up the TV app in the coming months to match the power of our iPhone and iPad apps, so let us know what features are most important to you! Lightbow 1.1 (end of November) lets you quickly turn any light on or off by clicking it in the list, or you can use the editor for finer-grained control over hue, saturation, brightness, and color temperature.

Current owners of Lightbow can download the TV app for free, and access any of the preset collections already purchased. Any questions or concerns can be directed to info@lightbow.net. Check out the iOS version on the App Store here.

This weekend I spent some time throwing together a Python script that controls my foyer light: at night, it’s dark red, and during the day, it changes based on temperature and rain data from forecast.io to give me a quick sense of whether I should be wearing a heavy coat, a light coat, or lots of suntan lotion. Sure, If This Than That can kinda do that, but I kept on ending up with bright blue light blaring in the middle of a cold night, or it being eternally red once it got cold enough that “it just got colder than 50ºF” stopped triggering.

It has also grown an OSX menu bar item that lists all of the scenes I built in the iOS LIFX app, nicely sorted into submenus based on the first word of the names, and lets me select them. It can’t set the color of any individual lights; on the rare occasions I need to do that, I can go find one of my iThings and run the LIFX app. Eventually I’ll package it up as an actual app, give it dialogue boxes for entering your LIFX and forecast.io API keys, and call it done.

…and then I’ll have to see if I feel like trying to build a UI to edit the list of temperature ranges, scene choices, and weather condition temperature offsets that the foyer light changes based on. Probably not any time soon. Unless someone volunteers to do that once it’s on github.

edit. Now it’s on Github.

I wrote a Windows Service to update the color of all my lights in a specifically named Group, changing the hue every minute or so, with one cycle through the rainbow every twelve hours. Noon/midnight is blue, 4 am/pm is green, 8 am/pm is red, with all the hues in between as time goes by. Brightness is set manually by my LIFX Android app for each bulb.

Just putting a bulb in the color changing Group starts the color changing process. Take it out of that Group and it’s back to a normal bulb.

My idea is I want to make my passage of time as analog as possible. I’ve done this with other hardware and software devices before, but the LIFX bulbs make this easy and extensible with little effort.

Once you get used to the colors, you get a general ‘analog’ sense of time and find that the exact ‘digital’ time becomes less important.

That is one of the more inventive ways of using LIFX bulbs that I have heard so far. I imagine it would make your house look pretty cool too.