What are you building?

…so “It’s two o’clock” becomes “It’s blue o’clock”…

Thank you, thank you…I’m here all week…try the fish, it’s delicious…and don’t forget to tip your waiter :laughing:

Well that gave the team in the office a few @Chuckles :stuck_out_tongue:

All aboard the pun train!

I just built a LIFX HTTP API library for Python. I couldn’t find an existing one, so here you go!

Install: pip install pifx
GH: GitHub - cydrobolt/pifx: A Python library for the LIFX cloud HTTP API
Docs: Indices and tables — PIFX 0.0.2 documentation

Feel free to open an issue on the GH if there are any bugs!

1 Like

Sounds good will have a look. I have created my own shoddy code that works so this will be nice to use and learn from. Thanks.

1 Like

Cool! Hope it will be helpful. I’m still constantly improving the docs and tests, but it should work well! Let me know if you run into any issues :smile:

Using lightsd, I was able to create a bash script that does a candle flicker effect similar to the iphone app. With this, I can have a candle flicker without leaving my phone app running.

https://github.com/digitalsushi/lifx-bash-candle-flicker

Mine can provide a hue offset and target individual bulbs, so the candle is actually different than the ios app. It just requires a copy of the script per target.

It’s POC; I might write a threaded ruby version that can do all of the different bulbs in a single program. (The random timing is a nightmare to synchronize, hence a thread to just do each.)

I tip my hat to the lightsd author - his command pipe is, so far at least, thread safe. I write multiple json rpcs to it and it hasn’t gotten off the tracks.

1 Like

A second POC I did - a ruby script that takes the most dominant color in an image and then changes the lights to be this color. My script uses a desktop screenshot as its source, but any image should suffice.

https://github.com/digitalsushi/lifx-render-dominant-screen-color

It’s too slow to run it in a realtime loop - about 4 seconds on my computer. It’s still kinda neat though.

1 Like

update The python source code is now on github here

What can I say on reading the readme. Legend… I look forward to going over it and testing. Thanks!!

I finished working on an addon for the Kodi mediaplayer. It uses your Lifx-bulbs to match the picture, while playing a movie:

You can find more info about my project on my blog: http://www.blinkingled.be/lifx-plugin-for-kodi/

2 Likes

Nice! I’m running an rpi2 with hyperion with APA102 LEDs around the screen to do essentially this but project the nearest pixels off the screen, and I’ve been looking for a way to add my LIFX (and analog strips not connected to the rpi). Most of the solutions I’ve seen for hue or LIFX (I have both) have too much lag time to be particularly effective. I’ll have to look into what you’ve done here and see if I can use it :slight_smile:

If you’re using a boblight-compatible screen sampler, you should be able to use my Kodi callback daemon as a boblight proxy, and have it control your LIFX bulbs by choosing a range of boblight LED IDs and assigning them to a LIFX bulb or group label. If you’re using Hyperion to drive your LED strip, it can also control both LED strip patterns and status as well as triggering LIFX bulb changes, based on Kodi events.

Just posted a project to Hackster.io using the AWS IoT Button with a LIFX light. Complete details are included. The source code links also include a full .NET REST API wrapper targeting for Windows 10 Universal applications on all devices including Windows 10 IoT Core devices.

Details at:

1 Like

I just released UltraLighting3 which is a HomeSeer3 plug-in (HSPI) for LIFX LED lights. UltraLighting3 HSPI will automatically discover and configure the LIFX LED lights installed in a user’s home for use with HomeSeer. My program uses the LIFX LAN protocol which does not rely on the cloud or an Internet connection to control the LIFX LED lights.

More details at:

Regards,
Ultrajones

Not strictly developing with LIFX, but bridging the Philips Hue bulbs to AllJoyn so the LIFX app will remote control them:

Sorry for the poor camera work…

A Minecraft mod that changes the color and intensity of LIFX bulbs based on what biome (forest, river, tundra, mountain, etc.) you are in and nearby lighting sources (sky, torches, etc.). That’s functional already so there’s just cleanup and minor changes to do. I also plan to add in neat features for detecting nearby blocks types, mobs, damage sources flashing colors, and whatever other reason I can think of to get notified via my lights or immersed in the atmosphere.

Edit: See it in action:

2 Likes

Last weekend made a PoC panel for the HTTP API, as the new LIFX Android Application needs WLAN which I don’t really use, it makes the application pretty much useless.

Anyone can test the panel at https://jmto.fi/lifx/

It’s pretty basic, I hate to use npm/bower to get one piece of required JS (colorwheel) others can be found in CDN.

Or get it and make it better from here: GitHub - bestis/lifx-panel: LIFX Panel, like nicer UI, better color wheel, with standard components found in some CDN.

Also it doesn’t implement everything, like the scenes, as I don’t have any scenes.

And yes, I noticed that there was some panel already made, but no demo url, gulp etc, didn’t even want to install and try it out.

1 Like

Here guys, I have a Home Automation app, it’s called Home Remote. It gives users a means to control all their equipment under 1 app, with easy access from the today screen, as well as extending functionality on hardware with voice control, beacon support, geofences with hours of operation options. It runs on iOS, Apple TV, Apple Watch, OS X and Pebble Smart Watches. Version 3.0 includes support for Pebble.

In my study I have scenes made up of Milight, LIFX and Hue. You can see it here. The Amazon Echo calls Home Remote, which in turn controls the Milight, LIFX and Hue lights.

The link for the app is www.bouncingball.mobi

I’ve been working on a very simple Android app to route notifications from your phone to your LIFX Lightbulb. It is open source and can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/byerlyb20/notify. It can also be found on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.badon.brigham.notify. When I first started this, I was very new to Android development, so don’t be suprised when you see the quality of the code :slightly_smiling:.

GNU source for talking to LIFX light bulbs over a local area net (LAN)

1 Like