LIFX Developer Zone

Wifi Motion Sensor for LIFX bulbs

Hello,

I have a house full of LIFX bulbs (yes I may have spent too much lol).
What I have been trying to find online, rather unsuccessfully, is a motion sensor that I can use to operate with the bulbs. Ideally this would run via wifi so I can connect them to OpenHab 2; which I use to run my home appliances.
Can someone please assist me with this. I would ideally not like to send too much money for each sensor. I also live in Australia if that makes any difference.

Thank you for the time you took to read this post :slight_smile:

This function does exist when paired with nest cameras, however, it seems broken as well. The “motion” detection is triggered when the lights turn off if too close to the nest and they trigger a ‘turn back on’ function. But, it’s the closest I know of. /2 cents.

Not exactly what you want But I achieved this by: 1. Used homebridge to give Apple HomeKit control of my LIFX lights.
2. Set up a scene using an Elgato Eve Motion sensor. Scene turns on a light ( in my Garage) when the Eve detects motion. A second scene turns the light off when no motion is detected for 1 minute.

Hi all,

I have found Fibaro Motion Multi Sensor through my searches,
Can anyone confirm that these would work with LIFX bulbs please.

I’ve been looking for a solution myself.

Most motion sensors are Z-Wave and require a hub. I have nothing against hubs in general, but I’ve not had good success with either Wink or SmartThings for anything that wasn’t naively supported in their apps. WeMo used to have a Wi-Fi motion sensor, but they’re no longer making it.

I don’t know about you, but for me, I’d love to have motion sensors that activate only at night when I need to find something really quick. That way, I don’t trip trying to find a bunch of light switches around the house and am not waking everyone up loudly whispering at Alexa.

I have 55 LIFX bulbs and counting. I use Samsung Smartthings motion sensor and hub to trigger my bulbs. They turn on my basement lights when the door is opened, and my hallway lights when it late and you head to the kitchen, my attic when I head upstairs, and even my kids bath… I have it turn one light turn on Blue at 25% so they are awoken by the bright lights.

The downside is you will need have Samsung’s hub (which might be one reason why you have LIFX and not Phillips), but the it has worked well for me. Happy to explain more if needed.

Same here, except only 50 bulb.

No issues.

I only have 8 LIFX bulbs so far (but have another 8 arriving next week). I’m using a Philips Hue Motion Sensor connected via HomeKit for motion detection and it works fine when triggering scenes that include LIFX bulbs.

How is the delay from motion dected to lights on? I have a Hubitat hub (similer to ST) and there is a real noticible delay going on and Lifx support is not very helpful :confused:

Less than a second from motion detection to LIFX bulbs coming on via HomeKit. That’s using either a HomePod or Apple TV as the home hub. I have two of each so any one of them could be primary.

Hi could some one please post how to use LIFX bulb and hue motion sensor with home kit.

I tried to creat a science in home kit but it says “motion sensor is always on “ and can’t be used I. Home kit

Thx

You need to be able to create an Automation and you can only do that if you have a Home Hub, i.e. a HomePod, Apple TV 4 or 4K or an always-on iPad that has been enabled as a Home Hub. Otherwise HomeKit won’t show you the Automation tab in the Home app.

Hi macd1995

What app are you using between your sensor and lifx globes
Thanks